Why Did You Stop Texting Back?

Why Did You Stop Texting Back?

Oh, okay, bye forever I guess?

543
Why Did You Stop Texting Back?
Galore Mag

Okay, so imagine you and your friend, not even your best friend but just any one of your friends, even the kid that's in your phone as "kid from accounting 223", are hanging out having a conversation. You're both just having a random conversation about anything really, and appear to be totally into the conversation, and its casual but all the sudden, mid conversation, your friend just gets up and walks away and never comes back or says anything about it.

That would be sort of bizarre right? I don't think anyone would think that's super normal. You would definitely be like "hey Craig we were kind of just in the middle of a conversation I don't know if you just got possessed or...". I mean, I personally wouldn't classify that as just your average Tuesday.

So why does our generation do that with texting? Like, where did we learn that abruptly refusing to respond to someone is an acceptable way to get them out of your life?

I get it, I get it. Telling someone you don't want to be their friend, or you don't like them as more than a friend is kind of scary. For sure you don't want to be a total jerk and be like "hey I know we've been having some great conversations but I don't think its working out". So naturally the less rude thing to do is just stop responding? Makes total sense.

If you think about it, magically disappearing is nearly a form of cruel and unusual punishment. Now you've left the person to sit there and ruminate about what they did wrong and why you super randomly disappeared, all because its kind of hard to tell someone the truth!

Of course no one likes to hear that this super cool person they just met a few weeks ago actually doesn't feel exactly the same about them but don't you think that maybe just maybe there's a slightly kinder way to handle the situation?

I know that my humble opinion isn't going to make everyone start telling the truth but I'm going to venture to guess that most people would appreciate a simple explanation instead of a much less entertaining version of a David Blaine trick.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and everyone in fact is getting possessed and we have a much bigger problem on our hands.

Guess we'll never know!