The Pet Peeves Of Being A Childless Woman

Stop telling me I'll change my mind.

13
NY Mag

I have come to the conclusion that I am a 23-year-old woman with no chill about my wants and desires.

I am very head strong on my opinions and there is one pet peeve of mine in which I have no chill about, and that is not wanting to have children. I am living in a world where everyone around me is having babies, and being so close to women who have babies I am asked at least once a week the big question. With the announcement of my sisters second baby this week it has seemed to cause on uproar on MY reproductive system. "When are you going to have children?"

Umm, well the answer to that is quite simple: never. This would not be such a pet peeve of mine if the people who do ask always insist that I am "going to change my mind." One thing I have noticed with women who do have children is they are sensitive on things that involve their children, as they have the right to be. I on the other hand as well am sensitive about not wanting to have them. You telling me that i will change my mind would be like me telling you to stop reproducing. Which I would never do to because I know your children hold a special place in your heart.

Me being child-less and remaining as such holds a special place in my heart as well. I understand people are curious, which is fine, but when I am there and bold face say I do not want children just do not question it. The people closest to me know my hearts desire on this and they do not question it anymore, but for those who casually ask and are persistent about it do not realize the door they just opened.

The second biggest question is "Well, why wouldn't you want a baby of your own?" As previously stated I am close to many women with children and I love and adore these children and have two nieces of my own and those are just a handful all on their own. Honestly though I am entirely too selfish to have a baby and I am not ashamed to admit that. I love working, I love going to school, I love sleeping in, and I love staying up all night drinking wine. I would put my career and writing first before children and that is something I could not give up. That is not to downplay the importance of moms who are career moms, single moms, or stay at home moms or dads who have to play the role as mom as well.

I love all the baby mama's,and I 100 % support you but I just know for a fact it is not for me. It has been something I have been passionate about for for as long as I can remember. I am not going to regret my decision. People have even asked "Well, what if you find the 'one' and he wants children what are you going to do then?" Then obviously he is not the one for me.

For the time being I will spend my time obsessing over my nieces and nephews and showing off the thousands of pictures I have of them doing something adorable.