Dear Couples, Stop Taking Each Other For Granted

Dear Couples, Some Of You Take Each Other For Granted And It Shows

You never know how much time you have left with someone, so appreciate every moment.

108
Valerie Sepulveda

As a girl in a long term relationship, it's easy for me to see the problems in the dating scene. I've had several friends come to me for advice about budding and failing relationships, asking how to solve this and that problem, and wondering how to change their partner. And while I don't mind helping, sometimes it's frustrating to see that failings relationships can be fixed with a simple solution- stop taking each other for granted.

It's obvious to see. Once people get past the honeymoon phase of the relationship and start getting used to having each other in their lives, they act as if that person is always going to be there's. They stop flirting, stop giving compliments, stop giving them cute little surprises, overall stop acting as if they have to win each other over. Just because they're in your life now doesn't mean they will always be. The littlest gestures mean the most to each other. Just show them that you're thinking of them throughout the day.

A little care goes a long way. Another thing I see often is people controlling each other. Telling them what do to and where to go, who they can and can't hang out with. Trust is such an important factor in a relationship and nowadays people have forgotten trust and controlling behavior is normalized in dating culture.

I see both girls and guys controlling the social lives of their significant other, leaving their partner feeling isolated and alone. I even watch my friend's boyfriend get mad at her for talking to my boyfriend. Despite the two being friends. Despite the obvious controlling behavior of him, she's gone back to his time and time again yet doesn't understand why she's so unhappy. Manipulation has no part in a relationship, only trust, and love.

Open and honest communication is also extremely important in a successful relationship. Lying, cheating, hiding your problems from the other, there's nothing that will ruin trust faster than not being open. How can you expect your partner to be faithful if they've proven in the past that they aren't? Caring about each other and ensuring the happiness of the other is so important.

Cheating is running rampant in the dating scene and it's a genuine problem that people are either cheaters or have been cheated on. Value your partner, allow them to be themselves, and communicating honestly with them will give you a longer, happier relationship.