How To Stop Overthinking Your Relationships
Mental Health

When Your Mind Comes To Terms With What Your Heart Isn't Ready To Accept

You shouldn't ignore it. You shouldn't belittle it. You're overthinking because your intuition is trying to guide you.

113
Danielle Olsen

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the last time you were obsessively thinking and talking about something really exciting... or really shitty, someone in your life has told you to stop over-analyzing it. To stop overthinking, and just let it be. As if, just like that, you can turn off your overactive thoughts that are racing through your mind with no endpoint, in the blink of an eye. And after being bullied to stop doing something out of your control, you might've felt embarrassed and guilty, and wished you could easily let it be, and let it go.

The fact is, you probably didn't ever stop. At least I hope you didn't. And here's why.

If you are overthinking anything in your life, there's absolutely a reason behind it. And you've probably come to the true conclusion, among the millions of conclusions you've overthought. Whether or not you're aware of it yet. Whether or not you want to admit it yet.

Yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds. But, think of all the things in your life that you did effortlessly and didn't once doublethink. You just went for it. And did it so quickly and fluidly you almost forgot what you were doing in the first place. Like, driving home after a long day at work. Ordering your coffee in the morning from the same coffee shop you go to every single morning. Washing your body before you wash your ass in the shower (because who scrubs their body after they just scrubbed their ass with the same loofah, and even though we use the same loofah the next day, the sequence still oddly matters but it's all good because the soap washes away the germs, right?)

Anyway, if you do those things without overthinking, that's confirmation that you're capable of experiencing things without overthinking. Which confirms that overthinking is not part of your daily routine. Which confirms there's very clearly a solid purpose of your overactive thoughts.

And you shouldn't ignore it.

You shouldn't belittle it.

You're overthinking because your intuition is trying to guide you.

Overthinking is that gut feeling everyone tells you to watch out for. So, pat yourself on the back. Your brain and body are functioning properly and looking out for you, preparing you or warning you about something. Which sounds absolutely terrifying. But in reality, your mind is just coming to terms with what your heart is not ready to accept yet.

But hey, I'm not a scientist. I don't know have any studies to confirm this. Honestly, I don't even know if I believe in anything at all for certain. But I can say with absolute confirmation, from my personal experience, that even just having this thought in your mind when you're overthinking, will guide you through the process. And will guide you to a conclusion. Because overthinking the same thing for a long time is unhealthy.

But that's not the type of overthinking I'm talking about in this article.

Just to be REALLY clear, this isn't me trying to glorify anxiety. If you're overthinking little things in your life that are very clearly out of the ordinary to be over thought, or replaying the same thing in your mind obsessively, THAT is not healthy. That is something that should be taken seriously and I encourage seeking professional guidance if it is out of your control.

If you take anything at all from reading this article, I hope it's that you should trust yourself.

Never wish, hope, or ponder what someone could or should be in your life. The VERY moment that begins is telling you exactly what they are and if you're questioning it, then indefinitely it's NOT definite. Let the obvious be the obvious. Let what doesn't feel certain, go. Things that are meant for you won't ever make you feel unsettled and indecisive. Things that are meant for you would never lead you to overthink.