Stop Making Things 'Partisan Issues' When They Aren't

The yelling and screaming about how ridiculous the other side is just makes you equally ridiculous.

743

Since the 2016 election cycle, people have been yelling and screaming about "those racist Republicans" or "those snowflake libtards." And honestly, I am so very, very tired of it.

It's constant games of "he said, she said," in which certain parts of the media turn those discussions into ruthless commentaries on how the other side is wrong. No singular party is particularly guilty for this — they all are.

I study politics, stay up to date on news and worked during the election season, and the whole notion that someone is terrible or evil because of one thing that they believe or their party affiliation is absolutely absurd to me.

Over the course of the past year, some of the big things that have dominated news cycles and constituents are the partisan fighting on healthcare coverage, sexual assault awareness/advocacy, and taxes. If you look at the way that Congress or parts of the cabinet have voted/acted on those issues, it is split.

The mudslinging of Republicans doesn't want to protect preexisting conditions and how Democrats are Soviet comrades who want all of the money to be spread out have a little bit of truth that is covered up by framing and sometimes, lies. And it's ridiculous.

In regards to healthcare — everyone wants coverage for healthcare. Everyone gets sick. Everyone has stuff happen to them that they cannot control. So why is everything marketed to be one extreme or the other? People want healthcare, that much is clear regardless of your identification.

So stop screaming how the other side is wrong and going to spend so much money that we don't have and actively contribute to the conversation about how to get the healthcare that we need. Don't repost something about how stupid the Affordable Care Act is, actually look into what is "stupid" about the ACA.

Don't sling mud at how someone is a downright terrible human being for wanting to change the ACA.

You're allowed to have opinions, but the mudslinging and cries of how stupid the other side is have to stop. We are all humans. We all deserve to continue living the best way that we can, whatever that may be. Make active contributions if you are going to complain incessantly.

You might not be the most knowledgeable about the situation, but if you don't understand the thing that you're mad about, then you're probably mad about it for the wrong reasons. You don't have to find the solution, but don't just give up and let others do it for you.

No one wants to be actually sexually harassed, sexually assaulted or raped. And unless you're a sociopath, you know that doing those things is wrong. It is between 2-10% of accusations that are found to be false, as compared to the overwhelming feeling that every accusation is false.

And yes, we should still honor innocent until proven guilty, but why are we making this into such a partisan issue? Not one person wants someone that they love to have to go through that. Stop making sexual assault partisan, because it's not. It is a human issue, not a partisan one.

Don't just watch one news station, I beg of you. Open your eyes and ears to multiple places and above all keep an open mind. Slinging mud or reposting stuff on Facebook that is ridiculous only makes you look ridiculous too. Actively debate, but don't just throw things out into the air that you have nothing to actually back it up with. Basically, just be a decent human being to each other, please.