Stop Looking For The Perfect Guy, Let Him Shape Perfection For You

It's time to put down that list and to start following your heart.

419
Unsplash

Many girls tend to have their own ideal type. For me, I often liked guys who were taller than me (which was definitely not a problem at 5'2"), sweet, modest, funny and fashionable. All girls have their own type of guy they tend to crush on. In fact, some girls may even have a list of characteristics they look for in a guy. In middle school, I was guilty of possessing a list of all the characteristics I looked for in a guy, but as time passed, I began to realize these lists are meaningless.

High school came around, and I noticed that my crushes didn't even match more than three characteristics in my ideal type list. I began to learn these lists didn't dictate who I like; my own heart does.

I remember how beginning of junior year, a familiar student walked into my class, and I didn't even glance at him. As we settled into the semester, we noticed each other and chatted a little here and there about classwork to school in general and then cracking jokes about life. I didn't suspect it then, but it holds true now — he is the most amazing guy I have ever met. In fact, I've developed a crush on him. He is someone I can have a long casual conversation with like we're long lost best friends. And we may as well have been long lost best friends because we both remembered each other from two years ago when we had two classes together.

But four years ago, my middle school self would've expected him to dress according to Korean fashion standards, be at least 5'6" and imagined that he was the type to sing to me just like how Troy Bolton sang to Gabriella. She wouldn't have seen what I do, now. She wouldn't feel the way I do around him — comfortable, confident and carefree. He may not be Troy Bolton but to me, he has shaped the perfection of who I like.

No one can be exactly who you want them to be. You can't force a guy to be exactly who you want him to be. You can't give him a makeover and transform him into the guy you would like better. There's nothing logical about that, since you are merely changing his appearance when it's actually the inside that matters. People say they're into brunettes, but what if one day the brunette you liked suddenly dyed his hair blonde? Would you still like him? Probably yes.

Liking someone just because of how they look is artificial. Your heart leads you to the perfect guy not because he has blonde hair or that he has the most amazing teal eyes but because he is your missing puzzle piece. He's the one to fill that empty void in your heart. This guy shines above that perfect guy illustrated in anyone's ideal type list, including your own. There's no reason as to why you should let those silly standards dictate who open yourself to. Let go of that meaningless list, and just follow your heart.

The right man will come along, and he will be more than you could ever possibly dream.