Stop Letting The World Change Who You Are

A Reminder To Stop Letting The World Be Your Sculptor

I don't believe in being another replica, and neither should you.

42
https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-casual-collection-fashion-296881/

One of the most dangerous consequences that comes with being as young as we are is the fact that we are more susceptible to giving in to the expectations of others in order to fit in. While I understand the importance of improving ourselves for the better, one of my ultimate goals in sharing the following poem is to remind as many of you as possible not to do so in ways that will have a significant impact on your true identities.

Most of what you've just read (and are about to read) was actually submitted as part of an assignment that I was given in my Writing for Social Change course back in the spring of 2018. If at least one line of my poem resonates with you, then I'll have accomplished something that I've always aspired to do with my writing (and that's to be perceived as more than just a writer).

Childhood thoughts at 22:

What will they think if I do as I do?

Do whatever it takes to make sure they approve.

If they don't, I will worry.

If they do, I will lose

Part of who I truly am.

Sculptors are all around me,

For I am their lump of clay

To be molded into something greater

Than what I am today.

They've known what I've needed to be

Ever since they first laid their eyes on me.

Their stares imply that I do not comply

With their rules for who I am, and what I am meant to be.

Adulthood thoughts at 22:

I give them the power to help me improve.

Too much, though, and I will lose.

Do what makes you happy,

Do what's best for you,

Because at the end of this life,

You will only regret the times

You failed to stay true to you.

Live for you, babe.

For you are not a lump of clay,

Regardless of what others might believe or say.

Appreciate your inability

To give into their expectations each day.

There are so many reasons why

The words "you" and "unique" sound the same.

Normality is replication, and I feel the need to say:

Stop letting the world be your sculptor, today.