I'm Not A Prude, So Please Stop Labeling Me As Such

I am not offended by it, but I am very annoyed.

244

Growing up and learning about sex is a weird thing. You reach this age where suddenly everyone you know is sexually active, and you have to be super careful. All I heard as I was learning about it was: "save yourself" or "don't sleep around with everyone." But the times are so different now that I am much older.

Sex has become this game of "How Many People Can I Have Sex With?" but the rules are confusing as hell. Men and Women are supposed to sleep around, but only the men get praised for it while the girls are shamed. Where is the fun in that? On top of that, if you don't sleep with anyone at all, you become labeled as a prude.

I am one of the few who has been deemed as such, but I think others have it all wrong.

The original definition for the word prude is "a person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity." Let me clear this up, I don't have sex, but I am not shocked by sex or nudity. I am an adult, living in a world surrounded by both of those things - I am used to it. It is in shows, magazines, song lyrics, advertisements, and I hear about it through all of my friends.

So, why do I still have friends and family looking me in the eye and telling me that I am a prude?

My reasons for sex are just personal ones. I'm insecure about my body, I don't want to risk pregnancy or an STD, and I just simply do not care for it or see the appeal in it. Other people may have different reasons, such as religion; you never know. As for people who do have sex with one or multiple people, I respect you. If you have the confidence for that and enjoy it, then good for you! It just isn't for me, and that's okay.

The worst thing about this is that it is a complete double standard for both men and women. If a man goes out every night and has sex with different partners, he is a "legend" and thought of as "cool". On the other hand, if a man doesn't choose to engage in sex, he is "lame" and "probably gay". Which, by the way, is wrong to call assume a man is gay just because he chooses to stay to himself. Now if a woman, like myself, doesn't have or doesn't want sex, she is "uptight" and a "prude," but the moment one of those women has sex, everyone calls her a "slut/ whore."

How do you go about living in a society that is going to label you no matter what you do? Who Knows?

All I have to say is, label me what you want. I know who I am and what I do. If you see me as a prude, so be it. I will just continue living the way that makes me happy, despite what others think of me.