Stop Giving Suicide a Bad Name

Stop Giving Suicide a Bad Name

126
Stop Giving Suicide a Bad Name
Google

A few days ago, I was on the train going home. I was listening to music and minding my own business, when all of a sudden I overhear people say that a guy is trying to jump of the train.That same guy, in a white shirt and looked drunk, entered the same cart and stood where me plus a few people are sitting. A lady across from me gives him a dollar, yet he still attempts to jump off the train, while bluntly announcing to the people on the train that he’s gonna kill himself. At this point, my blood is boiling, and my anxiety is through the roof while he keeps doing the same bluntly actions over and over again.

It’s these same actions that give Suicide a bad rep: Bluntly announcing that you’re gonna kill yourself, only because you didn’t get any money/attention. Also, let’s point out if you’re gonna kill yourself you wouldn’t announce it to the public, you would just do it. Why do you think it was a shock when Kurt Cobain, Robin Williams, and recently Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington committed suicide? Because they did it when no one knew about it, people only knew about it when the body was found.

When someone kills him/herself out of nowhere, the first thing people say is he/she/they did it for attention; not knowing what/why did someone take their own life. This has been going on for years, and it’s something that should be stopped.

Before we go into fuller detail of this issue, let’s go to fuller detail of the definition of suicide:

1

Suicide

noun sui·cide \ ˈsü-ə-ˌsīd \

:the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally

We live in a society where mental health becomes a HUGE part in suicide. When someone commits suicide, it’s usually due to them reaching their breaking point because of their Mental Health. Once again, Williams and Bennington are two HUGE examples of this, because mental health, in this case Depression, was too much for them. It got to the point where taking their own life was the ONLY way they can stop their Depression. It’s NOT the only way, but that’s another story for another time.

Healthy Place stated a big truth about Suicide,”Suicide is a real, serious thing that is not to be made light of and the driving motivator of a suicide attempt is a serious thing as well. If the person didn’t take it incredibly seriously, his or her life would not be on the line.” Suicide is real, Suicide - even attempted suicide - happens every day. And it’s something that should be a serious matter. Because nothing is more serious than someone’s life on the line.

We live in a society where Suicide keeps being joked around and being constantly given a bad name. This is why suicide is being taken as a joke. This is why we see posts on social media with the bleach, the self harm, the “KMS” posts. Because we don’t give suicide the seriousness it deserves. This is 2017, everyday we lose people to suicide, yet people still joke about it. And that’s something that should be stopped.

If anyone needs to talk resources are listed below.

Trans Lifeline # 877-565-8860

Suicide Prevention # 800-273-8255

Domestic Violence # 800-799-7233

Crisis Text Line: Text HELLO to 741741

Depression Hotline 1-630-482-9696

Suicide Hotline: 1-800-784-8433

Sexuality Support: 1-800-246-7743

Eating Disorders Hotline: 1-847-831-3438

Rape and Sexual Assault: 1-800-656-4673

Domestic Abuse Hotline: 1-800-799-7233