You Must Stop Doubting Your Life Path

You Must Stop Doubting Your Life Path

It's okay to not have every answer.

78
You Must Stop Doubting Your Life Path
Unsplash

I grew up thinking I had everything figured out. At just twelve years old, I strongly felt I would move to New York City at age 18. I would then be enrolled in a city college, pursuing a degree that would allow me to work as some sort of fashion journalist. I told myself that I would spend the four years of college in the city, and then remain in the city to live the rest of my life.

Senior year of high school brought me something different. As the college acceptance letters began rolling in, I found out I was accepted to Syracuse University—which happened to be the last school I had applied to. I recall looking at my mom, shocked at the fact that I was about to admittedly alter my life plans that I had for the past six years, and spend college in Upstate New York outside of the city.

As I am now a sophomore at Syracuse University, I must admit that I still question daily whether I should be pursuing the path I am on now or should alter it to fit my childhood goal. When thinking of a life "plan" for myself, I always find myself stuck in a rut, so-to-speak.

Due to this feeling, I began seeking other options. Could I pursue my major somewhere else, yet in New York City? Should I question my newer interest in fashion design and consider altering my major to suit something I have always planned for myself to study?

Should I spend my entire summer in New York City away from all friends and family in Maine, at an unpaid internship, to then pay for the expensive housing in the city and live by myself? I mean, that could possibly give me insight to whether I should completely change the path I am on now to enter the life I had expected for myself, up until senior year of high school.

It wasn't until recently when I realized I had to recognize that I am young, my "path" is flexible, and that it is okay to venture off of my envisioned path.

Throughout my life, I have put so much pressure on making sure my future will be as perfect as I had always envisioned as a child. I have developed all of my talents, and have truly pushed myself in the things I know I excel at, as I know these things will help create my perfect future.

As these past few years have brought me to the major of Fashion Design, an entirely different major than journalism in an entirely different environment than that of New York City, I am learning that it is okay. It is okay to stray off the path you had planned, and if straying from that path does not work out, something will bring you back to where you belong.

It was very recently—as of these past few weeks when I had to tell myself to accept the way my life is currently going. I am attending an amazing school for a major that evolves fashion—something that has always inspired me. I am also still in New York, and although Syracuse is not in the city, I am still in the state I have always pictured myself to be in. I decided to look at all of my accomplishments in this past year.

There have been so many—more than any of my other years, ever. And most importantly, although my heart may always be in the city, I will be there in three years, with an immense amount of experience and background to my major, that I will then be able to apply to my career.

It is okay to stray from your path. As noted, if you venture off too far, or where you are is not where you are meant to be, something will pull you back. Nothing has pulled me back yet.