The honor fraternity I am a brother in, Phi Sigma Pi, benefits two philanthropies that we, as brothers, are very passionate about. Our local philanthropy is the Casey Feldman Foundation, which supports efforts to end distracted driving. This foundation encourages volunteerism and good citizenship. Casey was 21 years old as a pedestrian and was hit and killed by a distracted driver. It is so awful to watch someone's unique, beautiful life vanish because another person didn't care.
The stories are endless. I keep hearing about them and I get the chills because this can happen to anyone. Lives are lost constantly due to drivers hitting pedestrians while they are texting, eating, drinking, etc. People get into accidents and hurt other people because they put themselves first. People cannot do this while they are manually in charge of a dangerous vehicle that weighs tons. I'm not perfect either, I'm guilty of eating and driving, and changing the music on my playlist. One tap on my iPhone can cause a serious issue, and people need to know this.
Please be mindful of how you drive. Don't text or call someone, it can seriously wait. Pull over. Do what you have to do. It only takes a few seconds of your eyes being off of the road to hurt someone or impact their life negatively forever. Your Wawa food or eyebrow makeup can also wait, sorry.
Really think the next time you drive! Focus on the road, use it as a time to relax and take yourself away from social media or stress for a few minutes. Be thoughtful and be in the present.
I am lucky enough to be the Co-Philanthropy chair of Phi Sigma Pi at my school this semester. This really helped me to open my eyes to the consequences that distracted driving brings. I am excited to raise more awareness about this! Money is always being raised for sicknesses, which is amazing, but distracted driving needs to be recognized too-too many lives are also lost from this monster!
- Distracted Driving: Don't Be Another Statistic ›
- How Reckless Driving Affects More Than Just You ›
- The Last 10 Rubber Ovals On My Left Arm ›
- Stop Distracted Driving ›
- The Campaign Against Distracted Driving: Talk. Text. Crash. ›
- Act to End Distracted Driving - YouTube ›
- StopDistractions.org ›
- 10 Organizations Committed to Stop Texting and Driving ›
- End Distracted Driving (EndDD.org) | LinkedIn ›
- Learn the Facts About Distracted Driving ›
- Distracted Driving | NHTSA ›
- EndDD.org is a project of the Casey Feldman Foundation ›
- End Distracted Driving - Home | Facebook ›
- Distracted Driving Presentations and Education from EndDD ›