Stop Criticizing Small Colleges

Stop Criticizing Small Colleges

Yes, we still get the full college experience.

21
Stop Criticizing Small Colleges
West Liberty University

Small schools really aren't for everyone and that is okay, but I am so sick of people discrediting the validity of my education just because I chose a smaller campus. There are so many pros to a small school, and honestly picking a college should be where you feel at home. For me, that place was a small school nestled in the hills of West Virginia and not in a big city surrounded by hustle and bustle. All I'm saying is my education is just as good as someone who is on a campus with 50,000 people, if not better because I get more one-on-one attention. Here is a list of why small colleges are actually awesome.

1. Class size.

There are six to seven people in all of my classes for my major. Yes, you read that correctly. So please tell me that I don't get more valuable class time. At small schools I am a name and not just another face in a lecture hall. I have professors I had freshman year for gen ed classes that still stop and say hi to me. I am in no way bashing big schools, but personally I am a big fish in a small pond kind of person.

2. Yes, our classes are just as hard as yours.

Here is a secret, a lot of professors on our campus have either taught or attended larger colleges, so their teaching style is the same. We just have less distractions and more personalized attention to make sure we understand the concepts. I still have to try hard in classes, but I am also more willing to pester my professor if I'm not picking up on something. I was valedictorian of my high school, but college is still no walk in the park. College is difficult across the board, so big school kids stop complaining that your classes are harder.

3. We still have the same internship opportunities.

I am in my first semester of junior year and have over 300 clinical hours. If anything it is easier to get an internship because there is less competition. Once I graduate my diploma will say the same thing as someone from a small school, but more than likely I will have more internship hours than my big school counterpart.