Stop Complaining Unless You Have A Plan To Fix Your Complaints

Unless You Have Any Intention Of Fixing Your Problems, Please Take Your Complaints Elsewhere

We all have our issues but that doesn't mean we have to fester on forever.

Jgorman
Jgorman
46

Hello and welcome to my TED Talk about people who constantly complain and play the "poor me" card. We all know people like this or even have friends who fall into this category. I know that I am not the only one who can't stand people that complain about their situation rather than figuring out how to fix it. I get that sometimes we all need to vent and just get some stuff off our chests but after that, unless you're going to make a change to help with the issue then please shut up.

There are always those people that fester on the same topic for more than one conversation and part of me just wants to slap some sense into them and say if you don't like your situation then what can we do to fix it. I am all for brainstorming some way to help someone figure out their situation and I think that it is one of the best ways to change something that is unliked. Plus by doing less complaining and more problem solving it can bring up the mood of the person in a negative situation. I see this, especially in college. Kids seem to not know how to deal with the smallest situations and rather than solving them they just go around and tell everyone in sight. This is not only negative for the people that they are around but also for that person.

I have some examples of situations that I have either heard of been told. One is dealing with negative issues in the workplace, in this situation, it can be hard because you don't want to step on anyone's toes. Yet at the same time, you don't want to be miserable because of someone you work with so you're better off confronting them. Both for the sake of yourself and for the sake of your job. Another common issue that I have seen at school is being put into a bad group for a project. Rather than complaining to your friends about how your group isn't good and you're going to do poorly on the assignment, either go to the professor and make them aware that there might be an issue with your group members or make sure to set some guidelines with your group. This way you and your group grade are still on the track for success and not the failure.

So bottom line, you're much better off solving your problem rather than complaining and make it all about poor you. Everyone has their own issues going on and your issues are the last thing that others want to hear about. At the end of the day, your issue is most often much more minor that you're making it and it can be solved one way or another! TED Talk is now done, thank you for coming!