Stop Commercializing Christmas

Stop Commercializing Christmas

It is so much more than the decorations that are in stores in early November.

68
Stop Commercializing Christmas
Flickr

Why is there an article about Christmas coming out barely a week into November? Great question, I'm glad you asked. It's quite simple, really. According to a lot of stores and TV networks, it's already the holiday season. Clothing stores are filling their hangers and websites with holiday dresses, department stores have broken out the ornaments and inflatable Santas, and Freeform is advertising their "25 Days of Christmas". Which, I have learned, starts the day after Thanksgiving. It won't even be December! But at least they are waiting until after Thanksgiving, which is more than can be said for the stores.

Every year it seems that Christmas merchandise and sales begin earlier and earlier. To an extent, I get it. People are looking for gifts for their kids, friends, family, etc. and those that really have their act together can start early and not have to worry about shopping at the last minute. There is a difference, though, in people going through stores looking at things that have been there or that just came out as part of a winter collection and stores already having signs about a certain item being "the perfect gift" or having displays of Christmas tress and decorations already up. By turning Christmas into a business opportunity, all of the joy and magic that makes the last week or so of December so special is getting lost amid receipts and advertising. Christmas has been a holiday far longer than any of the stores or businesses overrunning it have been operating. It's lasted and been celebrated by generation after generation without being commercialized. Why? Because it shouldn't be about having the most extravagant decorations in your yard and isn't about getting as many gifts as possible; instead it is about being with the ones you love and truly allowing yourself to be happy.

This whole idea of turning Christmas into a time to make a lot of money and convince consumers that they "must have" this, that, and that other thing or their Christmas won't be good is just sad. The Christmas season is undoubtedly a beautiful time of the year, but it isn't because stores sell a million and one decorations. It isn't because networks air Christmas specials beginning at the end of November. It isn't even because retail stores sold a bunch of merchandise that will be given as gifts. No. It is because Christmas is a time for joy. A time for healing, rekindling strength, and showing love for our family, friends, and neighbors.

We've practically all seen and/or read Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The pinnacle moment comes towards the end, when he hears all of the Who's singing despite all of their decorations, trees, and gifts being taken. "'It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes, or bags!' And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! 'Maybe Christmas,' he thought, 'doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!'" He was right.