Stop Bullying Kylie Jenner For Being Ugly Response

The Idea of Society's Vision of Beauty Is Disheartening, Belittling...Persuasive.

614
People

I don’t think Keke Palmer meant any harm with her comment about Kylie Jenner.

What Keke Palmer has done was expose the harsh realities of our insecurities as a nation and that we have nothing to blame but social media.

Just recently Keke Palmer posts a picture on Instagram, a two-image collage of Kylie Jenner before and after her transformations. The caption goes on a length about how America is the reason that Kylie has made such changes to her appearance and that regardless, we will never be satisfied. Articles and public opinions are everywhere about Palmer’s post titled: “Stop Bullying Kylie Jenner for Being Ugly!” supported with captions accusing her of throwing unintentional shade at the youngest Kardashian-Jenner sister.

“Reality television is based off of the desire WE HAVE to see non scripted shows that MIMIC reality, “false things appearing real” that’s the ART of it, how real they can make us THINK it is. And many social media platforms support that same thing. We have settled for knock off truth in our actual reality because it’s socially acceptable to lie for likes. Looking at this photo above I couldn’t help but stop dead in my tracks because even though I do feel like this family sets an example that it’s good to change for societies affection, how can you blame them?”

And you honestly can’t. People don’t realize that they’re changing their selves for social media or for the sake of what we see on television every day. This idea of “Remember you’re not ugly, you’re just broke.” Or “If you don’t have this look, you’re ugly” Is disheartening, belittling:

Persuasive.

Our generation has this toxic latch of all forms of media and we feel that if we don’t strive to have the lifestyle we see on TV or try to at least look like it we’re bullied, considered boring, unworthy to be around certain people and it affects as young as elementary and middle school.

Middle school is the worst. I was watching a video the other day of a young girl having to fight her way back home because she was being bullied; these kids were yelling things like ‘broke bitch’ and ‘get on that rich life!’ because they had on Kevin Durants and she had on an older pair of Jordans. I don’t even know anyone that wears Kevin Durants.

And even if they’re more popular than I’m aware of, you’re in middle school. What job do you work? You mean ‘Get on that spend all of your mother’s hard earned money life.’ Images are portrayed in the media saying you should have a certain image and its sad that transformations in girls must start so early in their lives so they feel that they should please others and not just be themselves. I remember being in middle school, only thirteen years old hating myself because a guy I liked didn’t like me because he said I “Looked like a boy” I tried to be as feminine as I possibly could in the 8th grade. I thought I was happy with myself. That summer I started watching Youtube videos with makeup tutorials and learning how to do my hair because I didn’t want another airheaded boy to tell me I looked like a boy.

That I was ugly.

I look at old pictures of myself from just four years ago, and I don’t look anything like that now, because I find different ways to change my appearance. You guys know that ‘dub challenge’ that’s going around, I did that too, I was reluctant to choose those pictures later because that picture I posted was a six-year difference, and my face has gone through so many stages within those last six years. It was kinda embarrassing.

Just know that sometimes getting the comment “You don’t even look like the same person,” is not a compliment. I was very unhappy with myself and it showed.

Women have an issue in history for bringing other women down, which is why I can understand why Keke Palmer’s statement can be put in a negative connotation.

I don’t think she was trying to do that ; ya’ll are just trying to start unnecessary drama for your entertainment.

The things we live for on television are killing these people.

If only we could accept one another instead of bullying each other into change. We wouldn’t be so confused or misunderstanding all of these mixed messages that ultimately tell us to trade attention for respect and love for possession. We could instead let our differences TEACH us something new instead of walking around looking, acting and being the same. WE DIFFERENT FOR A REASON.

-Keke Palmer