If You're Still A Mean Girl, It's Time To Stop

Being A 'Mean Girl' Is So 2009, So It's Time To Stop

As Eeyore once said, "A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference."

58

Look, I get it. Girls can be mean sometimes. Whoever is reading this right now, I know that you've done something not-so-kind before. We all have. Speaking for myself, I've definitely done things I'm not proud of. It's just a part of being human. However, there is a line between doing something mean and being a mean person. And honestly, the latter needs to stop.

Seriously. We're all adults, or almost adults, and it is time to start acting like it. No good has ever come from being a "mean girl." I mean really, has being consistently rude to people ever made someone feel good? Probably not.

I've had my fair share of experience with mean girls. From girls that have made fun of me for how I look or what I wear, to girls that I thought were my friends icing me out and trying to turn everyone else against me. And in every situation where I've encountered a mean girl, I've left feeling a little less positive about myself.

We've all done it. We've all looked twice at the girl wearing something that we thought was ugly or laughed when a girl said something we thought was weird. But if you're a girl that constantly tries to put other girls down, says degrading things to embarrass someone, deliberately excludes girls, or turns your back on your friends, it's time to stop. Now.

In this day and age, women are all about equality, feminism, girl power... all of that. And that is awesome! It's so great to see girls coming together to lift each other up. But how can you say that you're all for the empowerment of women when you purposefully try to hurt the girl sitting right next to you? We all need each other. Girls are one big team, and we're only as strong as our weakest player. It's not cool to make someone feel bad about themselves, humiliate them, or hurt them.

So I think it's time to stop acting like a middle schooler whose friend just stole her favorite lip gloss from Claire's, grow up, and be there for other girls instead of making it your life's work to tear them down. Treat other girls, and everyone, with kindness, because what goes around comes around. Who wants to be known as the "mean girl" anyway?