Why We Need To Stop Assuming People's Personal Beliefs Based On Their Political Affiliation

Why I will never define people by their political party of choice...

298
http://www.thelibertyconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/bace6ab0012b36724d33c54a325c447a_american-political-parties-clipart-logo-for-american-political-parties_2499-1481.jpg

When I was turning 18, I was excited to be able to vote and voice my opinions. I was thrilled that I could have a say about local and national issues. I was torn though; I couldn't decide which political party to register under. I just couldn't choose a side. I took so many online quizzes, I did research and talked with others on opinions; yet I remained and remain divided.

I realize that the reason I am so torn is because I have a strong abilities and desire to empathize with and understand others. I not only try hard, but I want to be able to see political issues from all sides. I try to remember that I can't put myself in someone's else's shoes, but I try. I try to imagine life as someone of a different financial status, gender, race, education level and so on.

This is great for me. I do not affiliate with a political party and I do not intend to. However, the problem lies in the fact that majority of the American people do affiliate with a political party and they get bashed for what their party says and does. I have many loved ones and out of those loved ones, there are very different political views and party affiliations. It tears my heart when I hear people actually so stubborn and immature that they would decide to cut someone out of their life because of their political party. I have seen people say "if you are registered (insert party) or if you voted for (insert candidate) you're a moron and I'm unfriending you on Facebook". I could never disown someone for their political affiliations, not even a stranger let alone a loved one. No matter what anyone says, both parties have people guilty of this.

I try to keep my political views to myself and to my family and trusted friends. Politics isn't a game to see who's more of a "snowflake" or who's more of a "bigot", it's our lives! In case you forgot, no matter what party you associate with, we are all Americans and we are all human beings.

Now, I absolutely understand being hurt if a friend has political opinions that may directly affect you that you don't like. However, we need to stop assuming people have certain political opinions simply because of their political party. Assuming a human being's personal, moral, and political opinions based on a party affliction is wrong and saddens me greatly.

George Washington did not want political parties. He felt they would divide the Americans. He was right, but the truth is, we do need political parties. This country was founded on freedom and one of our rights is freedom to express our thoughts and opinions. Without political parties, we wouldn't have opinions and we would all be the same. We aren't the same. Every human is unique with different experiences and different opinions. That's what makes this country so great!

I will never judge someone or make assumptions about their beliefs because of the party they affiliate with. Political parties have many many different issues and no one is going to agree with every issue that their party does. Most people decide to register with the party that they most agree with.

I chose to register as no party because that IS the party I most agree with. I'm too double sided on issues and my opinions are often divided. The point is, those are my beliefs. If you feel that you side most with democrats, register with that party. If you feel that you side most with republicans, register with that party. But I pray for the day that individuals can open their minds and learn to step into someone else's shoes. I pray for the day we stop making assumptions about people because of their party.