Stop Asking Me Why I'm Not In A Relationship

... Please
44

This one is for all of the aunts who ask at holiday dinners and to the high school friends I run into when I'm visiting my hometown - yes I am still single (unless you are a creepy guy trying to holla at me at the gas station). So please stop asking me.

It isn't that I haven't found someone who wants to date me; it's that I haven't found someone that I want to date. Is that too hard for you to believe? I mean I will admit, sometimes I do wish I was in a relationship especially when all of my friends are, but I'm not going to waste my time being in a relationship with the wrong person. Would you?

I mean think about it, if you're in a relationship with someone you kind of like you are essentially making yourself unavailable to everyone else including your possible soulmate. What sense does that make? I would much rather endure lonely holidays surrounded by my younger cousins in relationships while my aunts ask me why I have never brought someone to Christmas dinner than bring someone that I'm not in love with to meet my entire extended family.

I want to be in a relationship with someone that I am proud of, someone that I want to show off to my family and friends. I want to be in a relationship with someone that I am madly in love with, someone that I never get tired of no matter how many days we spend in a row together. Who doesn't want a relationship like that?

I am single because I want to be, not because I am being forced to be. I like spending my weekends going out with my friends and my weekdays focusing on myself and getting through college. They say that these are our golden years after all. These are the four years that we are supposed to put to good use, get everything out of life that we have always wanted, figure ourselves out and then once that is all said and done, settle down.

Maybe if I met the right person things would be a little different, I mean I definitely wouldn't be writing this article right now. But, there's no need for me to dwell on my past failed relationships or rush into a relationship with the wrong person. So please stop asking me why I am not in a relationship, because my answer is never going to change.