Stop Asking What I'm Going To Do After College If You're Just Going To Suggest Something Else

It's called the dreaded question for a reason.

37
Lauren Barnette

Listen... It's called the dreaded question for a reason. Sure, coming into college we might think we have it all figured out and know exactly what we want to be 'when we grow up,' but after three major switches and four years of growth, we have changed our minds and struggled with the answer to that question enough in our own head. We understand and appreciate your interest in our future and how we will support ourselves, but our post-graduation plans are not the only thing we want to talk about. We are more than our career plans.

BUT the worst of the worst is when after asking the dreaded question you proceed to then tell us something better or different to do instead as if you have spent the last four years learning about different industries and researching the market to see the salary, responsibilities, and overall enjoyment factor of possible careers. And, when we don't seem very interested in your idea of a better option please for the love do not continue to push it as if you're certain you're right. When we do have an answer to this question, being berated with the idea that our choices are wrong or less-than has the potential for us to feel like we no longer know what we do want, but only that we certainly don't want what others have suggested in place of our original choice.

At the end of the day, whether it's two weeks, two years, or two decades after college we will all end up doing something we love, and supporting ourselves. We will figure it out. For now, it's refreshing to feel like where and who we are right now is an interesting enough topic to discuss. Help us feel like we are enough right now instead of reiterating that we will always need to be ready for the next step. One of the best qualities to have when interviewing for a post-college job is confidence in one's own abilities, and by showing interest in what we've already accomplished instead you can help us land those jobs you're so worried about!