Why I Still Miss My Dog

Why I Still Miss My Dog

My Dog's Been Gone For Over A Year And I Still Miss Him Everyday

465
Why I Still Miss My Dog
Emily Dent

It's been over a year since I lost my best friend and everyday I miss him more than I've ever missed anything in my life. But, this best friend isn't even a human— he's a dog.

I know most people think it's a little weird to mourn over a dog, but to me, it definitely isn't. My dog Winston was just as important as any person in my life. My family got Winston when I was 7 years old and he passed away when I was 18. The two of us grew up together and every memory of home I have is filled with images of him. I cried to him when I was upset and he was always there to comfort me with his unconditional love. Without Winston, I never would have learned to sleep without a nightlight because he always kept me safe from the monsters under my bed. We waited for the bus together, and after school he was always there waiting for me when the bus returned to my driveway. Winston was my best friend, my other half, and always brought out the best in me.

This is why it's okay for me to still think about my pup with a sense of sadness. I spent 10 years of my life with him and learning to live everyday without him hasn't been easy. It's okay that sometimes when I pull into my driveway, I expect to see him running up to my car. It's also okay that sometimes I wake up expecting to feel his wet nose on my face telling me he just really needs my attention. Lastly, It's okay that I've cried multiple times while writing this.

Your pet will always give you all the love you deserve. In turn, give them all that they deserve back. I'd give just about anything to have my dog back and I miss him more than I knew I ever could. One day I was playing in the snow with Winston, and a few weeks later I was holding him in the vet's office telling him how much I loved him and that everything was going to be okay. Don't take the good things in your life for granted, you never know when they'll be gone.