Should I give in and sticker my laptop?

The Great Debate: To Sticker Or Not To Sticker My Laptop

Does it stamp "Millennial" right across my forehead?

133

I've made it to senior year of college without stickering up my laptop or my water bottle. But with the start of a new school year, I have been inspired by other people's busy laptops covered with stickers and finding myself on RedBubble more and more.

Pros

Whether it be pop culture references or school-specific stickers, I love looking at other people's stickers. I believe that the stickers showcase who that person is in such a way that is available for friend and stranger alike to see.

Not only is it fun to look at the stickers, but they're also great conversation starters. I've lost count of the number of times that I've struck up a conversation with someone over a 'Friends' sticker or asked them what one of the destination stickers meant to them. It's a great way to bond with someone when you have otherwise minimal knowledge about them.

There's also a certain fun to picking and choosing which stickers represent you enough to take up the precious real estate that is your 13" laptop. Do I really love "Friends?" Okay, obviously I do, but now I have to choose which quote or line or image is my favorite. It can be so difficult.

Then there comes the placement of the stickers. Now that you have finally found the chosen ones, you have to actually put them on your laptop. What style are you going for? Do you want it to be neat or more of a collage? What is the perfect amount of overlap without obscuring the sticker too much? Which one is the focal point? There are so many components to the perfect laptop covering.

Cons

Stickering one's laptop is a fad that I started seeing when I first got to college. Instead of jumping on the bandwagon right off the bat, I've waited exponentially too long and now I have one year left. Is it too late?

Real talk: do people that are older than college-aged have stickers on their laptop? I feel as though this is a millennial fad, and I don't want to spend money on stickers that I will ultimately stop using a year from now because I've reached "adulthood."

Do I care if no one else uses stickers and just keep them on my laptop anyways? I don't want to be thought of as younger than everyone else in my field, but also it's a fun way to express myself.

But what if I want a SpongeBob sticker? Is that inappropriate for an adult? I just want to have F.U.N.

Conclusion

I wrote this to help me decide on what to do, and honestly this whole time I've been struggling to not open RedBubble and browse their stickers. I think I've always known that I wanted stickers, and I just had to talk myself into it. Yeah, future workplaces may or may not approve of my stickers, but more and more millennials are entering the workplace with their stickered laptops, and soon enough it'll most likely become the norm, just as it is in college.

If I want to tell the world via laptop stickers that I love 'SpongeBob Squarepants' and 'Friends' and Dallas Cowboys football and Taylor Swift, by golly I will.