Stereotypes and Private School

Stereotypes and Private School

I am a completely different person than any private school stereotype

932
Stereotypes and Private School
College of Wooster

Something I've noticed and been told many times since I came to school is that the people in town will think I am a spoiled rich kid since I am at the College of Wooster. This seems to be the stereotype for private school students. I just want to be completely honest. My friends and I do attend the College of Wooster, but we are not a stereotype.

You may think private school students are all spoiled rich kids, but in reality, most of us are not. Reasons I am able to attend the College of Wooster include merit scholarships, outside scholarships, endowed scholarships, grants, and my parents working very hard. I am not a spoiled rich kid. I am not at this school because I am rich. I'm at this school because I worked hard to earn those scholarships to make it economically feasible.

My friends and I are not self-centered like the stereotype. A lot of my friends and myself are part of the Wooster Volunteer Network. This is an organization on campus that sets Wooster students up with activities off campus to volunteer at. Sometimes, yes we will do things for ourselves to keep our sanity, but really we aren't the stereotype.

We are NOT preppy. We never act preppy. Instead, we just act like a bunch of people who are a tad crazy. We like to do things like go outside and play frisbee or go for a walk or play at playgrounds. We go shopping, it is usually for craft supplies or something similar.

Sometimes I feel like just because I go to a private school, everybody assumes I am something I'm not. In reality, most of us are not the stereotype. We really aren't spoiled rich kids. We really do care about this city we call home for more time then we call our hometowns home. We are not what people assume of us just because we are at a private school.