6 Steps Towards Adulthood

6 Steps Towards Adulthood

As you get closer to adulthood, life gets more difficult and you have to make more sacrifices.

680
6 Steps Towards Adulthood
Hacking Adulthood: So you think you're an adult?

When you're a child, you always say that you can't wait to grow up. Then you blink, and suddenly you're entering adulthood. However, how do we know when we are adults? Do we suddenly look different or have a better vocabulary? As you approach this chapter of your life, there are certain things that will let you know that it is time to grow up.

1. You start taking responsibility for your actions.

Whether you decided to sleep in instead of going to class or your hit another person's car, you have to take responsibility. You can't blame your decisions on other people. While we may not always want to be held responsible for our actions, we don't have a choice. Like the old saying goes 'If you do the crime, then you do the time.'

2. You don't rely on your parents for everything.

When you were younger, your parents probably woke you up for school, made you lunches, or did your laundry. Well, you're an adult now. If you want a lunch, you better wake up a little earlier than usual. Don't want to be late for class? Set an alarm. And your laundry? Start folding. While we will always need our parents, we can't rely on them to do everything for us. We have to grow up and start doing things for ourselves.

3. You start paying bills.

This step is not fun. You have to spend your money on car insurance, food, and gas. While you may want the new Zac Efron movie, your bills are more important. If you want to be a successful adult, you have to choose between what you need, and what you want.

4. Going to work.

You thought high school was hard? Just wait until you get a real career. You can't call in sick just because you want to sleep a little longer. You have to go to work. This step goes hand in hand with step three. If you want to pay your bills, you have to go to work. There is no exception. However, if you find a job that you genuinely love, you won't mind going to work.

5. You start losing all of your free time.

As you grow up, you start losing any free time you once had. You have to work, find time to sleep, spend time with your family, and possibly school. Any free time you had goes out the window. However, this goes along with step 6...

6. You learn to multitask.

Even if you don't want to, you will start to multitask. You will take your homework to work, write a paper while listening to an ebook, etc. You won't have much time so you will try doing two things at once. While this may make things a little easier, be careful not to overwhelm yourself.

As you start to grow up and mature, you have to learn to be responsible. You have to choose between the new CD you want, or the car insurance payment. It isn't all fun, but that's life. It definitely isn't easy, but it will pay off in the long run. If you do what you need to, adulthood will amazing. You just need to put forth the effort.