The Six Steps of Getting a Tattoo

The Six Steps of Getting a Tattoo

My body is an art gallery. This is its newest piece of art.​

4097
The Six Steps of Getting a Tattoo
halfcnote

So, I recently got my second tattoo. Now, the actual process of getting a tattoo done is not often talked about. The same goes with aftercare (and aftercare is so important). I figured I would walk you through what exactly happens when one gets a tattoo.

1. Know what you want to get.

What's important to realize about getting a tattoo is that this is something you are going to have for likely the rest of your life. Consider it. Imagine it on your body. If you're used to seeing it there in your mind's eye, then it will make it a lot more worth it.

Also, tattoos cost money. My first tattoo cost me around $180, and my newer one cost me around $80. Consider size, placement, shape, color-- all of these seriously matter. The bigger the tattoo is, the more detail is allowed. If you need a tattoo to be covered for a job, don't get it on your wrist or any other visible areas. This is something you do not walk into blind. Know what you want, where you want it, and how you want it. It'll make your job-- and the artist's job, that much easier.

2. Do your research.

Chances are there are multiple tattoo parlors within reasonable driving distance. Some of these parlors and some of these artists are going to be better than others. Ask around, stay curious. I found my artist, Larry, by asking friends who had gotten tattoos (colored ones, in particular) where they had gotten theres. I also searched on websites and Facebook pages, trying to find the best of the best. The fact is, this is going on your body forever, You want it to look as nice as possible.

And on that note, go to a tattoo parlor. Yes, I know many people who have gotten tattoos from friends using kits, but these parlors tend to be a lot safer and cleaner. I know people who have gotten tattooed inside of dorm rooms. Do not be these people.

3. Stay relaxed!

Your first time under the needle can be very scary. Know that some areas (ribs, spine, foot, etc.) are going to hurt more than others (stomach, thighs, upper arm, etc.). Here is a map that roughly depicts the amount of pain one feels while getting a tattoo in these areas:

As you can see, some areas do hurt more than others. My tattoos are on my wrist (which was irritable) and on my side (which was incredibly painful-- in the red/blue). But that isn't the same for everyone. Some people have different pain tolerances and those have to be considered. The best thing to do is to relax. For me, after about a minute I get numb in the area. Relaxing helps with that. Artists know this, and they'll usually help to distract from the pain. My artist talked to me about his cats.

4. Tip your Artist.

They just changed your appearance forever. The least you can do is tip them.

5. Listen to your Artist when it comes to aftercare.

Congratulations on your new tattoo! Feel free to admire it. Take pictures. I mean, look at this beauty! This was right before the tattoo was bandaged up.

Now, as you can see, the skin around my new tattoo is very red. That's because that tattoo is the product of being low-key stabbed hundreds to thousands of time with a tiny needle. This is now an open wound. Your Artist should then bandage it up with plastic wrap. Most parlors will then give you a list of what to do for aftercare.

You have so many options for aftercare. Listen to your artist, of course. But the best thing to do is to make sure you have antibacterial soap and unscented lotion. These are your friends.

After leaving on the wrap for a few hours, you gotta wash it. It's a wound, and there's loads of dried blood, ooze, and excess ink just sitting on top of your skin. That's gross. Also, you do not want your tattoo infected. That is very bad news. So, washing is key. Wash two times a day. It'll help with the healing. My tattoo after being washed. Look how nice it is!

After that, put some sort of cream on it. I've heard everything from special tattoo creams (h2Ocean has one that works pretty well) to basic unscented Aveeno to coconut oil. Listen to whatever your artist tells you. You will want to moisturize it every few hours or so, but never too much. Don't suffocate the poor thing. But moisturizing is key to proper healing.

My tattoo 24 hours later. It's healing really fast, already starting to scab.

After a few days, the tattoo will begin to scab over. This is normal. It'll feel raised because of this. This is also normal. You also may still be sore. Ibuprofen helps a lot here. I would also suggest not using the area of your body that has been tatted if you can. But this scabbing can get very itchy. It is important to never pick at or itch your tattoo. This can hurt the healing process and damage the piece of art you now possess! Handle it with care. Don't go swimming, don't take baths, don't go sunbathing. Do what you gotta do.

6. Enjoy yourself.

After about 2-3 weeks, your tattoo should be healed enough that the scabbing is over and the fresh new skin lies underneath. My tattoo is currently in the scabbing stage.

See how rough the skin is there? The scabs are holding things awkwardly in place. This will end soon.

People will ask you, if it's visible, what the meaning is. You don't need a meaning to get a tattoo, and you are never obligated to explain your reasoning. This tattoo is the Triforce from the Legend of Zelda video games. These games are incredibly important to me, and have quite literally saved my life at a lot of points. But I didn't just want a Triforce tattoo. I also wanted something more. So I got the colors of the bisexuality pride flag. It is now called the Biforce. I have a pun on my wrist.

With the tat healed, it's good to still watch out for it. If it's visible, use sunscreen. If it needs touch ups, schedule them. It's all perfectly alright. Whatever you do, it's your life and your body. You have the freedom to do whatever you want with it. My body is an art gallery. This is its newest piece of art.