Why Staying Home For Spring Break Isn't So Bad

For the people who won't be beaching any time soon.
60

Since March is right upon us, I’m sure for many universities, Spring Break is just around the corner. Spring Break is a time where students finally get to take a break from the stressful curriculum and annoying professors. Gone are the meetings that fill your day and the lack of sleep that plagues the semester. The student body is finally free to leave all that nonsense at school and finally have some fun. Often, students take Spring Break as an opportunity to go travel, or have fun at the beach, or maybe even go to the mountains. However, not every student takes that path. Not every student feels the need to get that “spring break bod.” Sometimes, for multiple reasons, a student may decide to spend their break at home. Staying home may seem like a really boring alternative to Spring Break, but maybe, just maybe, it’s possible for students to actually enjoy themselves.

One reason staying home isn't so bad is that you're saving a ton of money. The greatest thing about your home is that you don't have to spend money to stay there. Your parents will buy you food, do your laundry, and all that jazz. I'm not saying they should pay for everything, but it's always good to have them help. When you go somewhere for Spring Break you must think about hotel expenses, gas money, money to go out every night, it just grows and grows. School is expensive enough as it is, much less having to pay for a whole week of travel. Being home you get to avoid all of that.

Another great part of being home is that you can do whatever you want. People that go somewhere for Spring Break often go with a big group. When you travel with other people you must compromise what you want to do to accommodate the entire group. Struggling to compromise can sometimes make for a less-than-fun trip. Being home, doing whatever you want is accepted. In fact, it's probably encouraged. The whole purpose of Spring Break, in my opinion, is to relax and you get to do that at home. Sleep in, watch Netflix, eat too much food, do whatever makes you happy.

Lastly, the best part of staying home is getting to spend time with your family. Whether you live thirty minutes away or across the country, it always seems like there's not enough time actually spent with family. Take this week to catch up with them. Tell them funny stories about your semester, your struggles, and your triumphs. Your family loves you and misses you, so getting to spend an entire week with them is the best present you could give them. So even though you won't be getting a tan on a beach somewhere, there are still great benefits to being home. In the end, you'll probably get to watch more Netflix than the Spring Break travelers, and that's much better than sand anyway.