5 Tips For Staying Fit And Healthy As A College Student
popular

Health is a lifestyle, not a trend.

593

Staying fit and healthy at any point in your life is hard. But, I don't think there is a more beneficial time in your life to begin the path of a healthy lifestyle than when you're in college. You have great access to all the necessary needs to be successful and stick to being healthy. I am always striving to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but I do often fall off the path. However, these are things I try and stick to day to day.

1. Get your beauty rest

The amount of sleep I get sets the tone for the whole rest of my day. If I don't get enough sleep, my bad habits often come out more, such as resorting to very sugary, caffeinated drinks to help me stay awake. I also notice an increase in eating because my body is trying to fuel itself as well. The combinations of all of those bad habits tend to make me feel even more sluggish then I already would.

When I do get enough sleep, I feel so refreshed and can start off my day on such a great note. This also means I will have enough energy for the gym to get a good work out in. Also, a huge deciding factor on how clear my skin is is based around how much sleep I get. If I am not sleeping and not eating right, not only do I not feel good but externally my body reflects that as well.

To achieve my goal of more sleep, I set a bedtime for myself every night, usually 10 pm. This also helps me to ensure I finish all my daily tasks and stay motivated.

2. Drink LOTS of water

Drink, drink, drink! Water is the key to success in anything. Water makes you overall perform better, considering that 75% of your muscles are made of water.

Making sure that they stay properly hydrated will ensure your body is ready to take on the day. Water also helps maintain your overall health by flushing out all of the waste and bacteria in your body. Also, often times when we think or feel like we are hungry we are often dehydrated and water is actually what your body craves. Water is also another key ingredient to glowing skin.

To accomplish many daily goals of water consumption, I carry my water bottle everywhere I go, often when I am bored in class, I try to drink my water instead of looking on my phone. It may sound silly, but it really works. It's a simple distraction that is great for you.

3. Eating right

Eating right I believe to be the greatest challenge for myself on campus. Many of the options on campus aren't the most nutritional, also I have a hard time passing up the McDonalds and Dutch Bros runs. However, I really try and stick to eating three nutritional meals a day.

When I eat three strong meals during the day, I tend not to need to snack or have large cravings, especially if I am drinking lots of water.

4. 30 minutes of sweat

Something I look forward to throughout the day is being able to go to the gym. There is no better time to learn to make the gym part of your regular routine then while you're in college and have such easy access to a gym.

I always feel so much better about myself and very accomplished after I go to the gym. It is also a nice break from all the stressors of college and studying. Just jogging on the treadmill for 20 minutes can make all the difference.

5. Wash your hands

On a college campus, there are obviously people from all over the world now suddenly being packed into classroom after classroom, sharing all of the same places. It is very easy to catch germs that you have never been exposed to before.

Personally, ever since I started college, I have had some sort of sickness or congestion. Therefore, I try and take every precaution I can to avoid being sick. Washing your hands more often is an easy way to prevent the spreading of germs to yourself and others.