Why You Should Start College Single

The Only Relationship You Should Be In During Your Freshman Year Is One With Yourself

Just saying.

24
Girl

As many incoming freshmen often do, I began my college experience while still dating my high school boyfriend. A common trend amongst college freshmen starting school dating their high school relationships is to "breakup by Thanksgiving." As much as I wanted to be the exception to that rule at the time, I was not.

And to be completely honest, that breakup may have been the best thing to ever happen to me.

Over a year later, I still remain single, in a relationship with no one other than myself. Despite opposing opinions, my being single is by choice. I have spent the past year working on myself, growing as a person, and giving myself the attention I had been giving to someone else. I finally gave myself the attention I deserved. I had some past baggage that I had never dealt with, and being single allowed for me to finally deal with that baggage instead of constantly pushing it aside as if it wasn't important.

I also realized that I had been making life decisions based on the lives of other people, some being my high school boyfriend, my friends, and my family. I didn't put myself out there during classes or in social settings on campus when I first started the semester and was instead only committed to my relationship. I didn't go out with new friends on the weekends and would go visit my boyfriend at his college instead. While part of the reason I didn't do these things was that I felt my boyfriend would be mad over them, I really just didn't feel the urge to. I felt content with the way my life was and figured, why stir the pot?

I learned that if you just feel content with your life and nothing more, no excitement or growth, something needs to change.

The ending of my high school relationship opened the door to self-growth and led me to pursue tons of new opportunities. I met tons of new people, made many more new friends, picked up a new minor, and went out with pals. A lot. I let myself experience all of the fun things students tell you about before you're in college. And to be honest, it was pretty fun while it lasted.

From my experience, that was just a phase. The typical college freshman who goes out and parties, meets guys/girls, and prioritizes social life over school life phase ended pretty quickly for me. Finally acknowledging the fact that the only person I would have to worry about for the time being was myself, I kicked it into high gear and focused on doing the best I could in my classes.

I reminded myself I was in college because I wanted to learn, grow, and be a successful individual. I wanted to do so for myself, not for anyone else.

By October of that year, I had secured myself a job as a server at a nice Italian restaurant and began making more money than I knew what to do with. I worked lots of hours and was able to get myself a new car only six months later, while also filling up my savings account, and paying for my college tuition.

Being in a relationship with myself allowed me to devote my time to things that would benefit me, and not having to schedule my life around someone else's made it a lot easier to do so. I didn't have to make a work schedule based on when I would/wouldn't see my significant other, and it really helped me to maximize my own productivity.

I had decided I wanted to go to law school before my college experience even began, but I hadn't really looked into law schools or the process of applying. During the spring semester, I realized I was ahead in credits and did the math to determine the earliest date I would be able to graduate. Turned out what I thought would be my sophomore year would be my senior year. I decided I wanted to go for it and graduate early, as I was (and still am) ambitious about my future and being a successful person for no one other than myself.

Now I am filling out law school applications to some of the top 10 law schools in the country, all because I chose to give myself the attention I had been giving to another person.

I can honestly say I am happy and ready to receive my Bachelor's degree in May after only a little over two years of my undergraduate studies. Of course, this advice isn't universal. Everyone's situation is different, and some of you may have even met your future husband/wife already.

To those of you who have, good for you. But I still encourage you to focus on yourself and work hard to pave the way for a successful future for yourself, even if you are in a relationship. As for those of you who are starting to feel single AF now as the colder weather is starting to hit, just remember the only person you are guaranteed to have for the rest of your life is yourself, so treat yourself as such and be your number one priority.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.