Stay Sexy And Don't Get Murdered

Stay Sexy And Don't Get Murdered

A "My Favorite Murder" podcast review

18
Stay Sexy And Don't Get Murdered
instagram.com/myfavoritemurder

True crime and serial killers have always sparked some odd fascination for those in the population who are not, in fact, serial killers. Which is most of us, thankfully. Perhaps it's the fact that most killers operate on that fuzzy line between normalcy and deviance that catches our interest. Often, they are that someone who appears charming or even boring that acts and thinks in a way that is so unimaginably opposite of the set expectations.

While a fascination with true crime is normal talking about it at parties or lunch dates is not, at least not until Karen Kilgariff met Georgia Hardstark. These two witty comedians met at a party in Los Angeles and soon discovered their matching obsession with…murder. An obsession that combined oddly well with matching dark dry senses of humor to form a podcast called, "My Favorite Murder."

This weekly podcast examines human nature and mental health and does the seemingly impossible task of tastefully combining comedy with murder. Since it's conception in 2016 this podcast has gone on to break records, go on tour, and create a community. A community charmingly calling themselves, "Murderinos."

I found myself becoming "Murderino" after my second attempt at listening to the podcast. While my first attempt was prematurely written off after listening to the seemingly random longwinded conversation at the beginning of the show. While this initially kind of bored me, after a few shows I found myself being drawn in as if I was their friend and in on the joke. Shortly I wanted to grab some wine as soon as I got the notification on my phone.

While discussing topics that grisly and dark could normally be considered depressing and morbid, Karen and Georgia manage to be both respectful and casual in their approach. They make you feel like you're at a girls night swapping stories. Each episode begins with friendly banter and then moves into murder. Each woman researches a story to share with each other each week. Ranging from absurd to disturbing each story brings out a discussion about human nature and mental health.

Despite the occasional discussion of dismembered body parts, this podcast is both fascinating and seriously funny. On occasions where there are gaps in their research both women more than makeup for it with their fantastic storytelling, and the stories never get boring. Whether you listen to it in the car or while going about your day you are sure to soon become obsessed with this show.

The good news is you won't be alone with this every growing and active fan base you are sure to find fellow "Murderinos" from all walks of life. There are also numerous chat groups putting out fan merch, artwork, drinking games, and their own true crime stories. With nearly 200 episodes you won't be running out of content soon and I can't recommend this show enough. So check it out wherever you get your podcasts, and in the words of Karen and Georgia, "Stay sexy and don't get murdered."