How to Stay Positive When Everything Around You is Negative

Staying positive is hard when everything around us seems to be negative, but follow these tips for a happier life.
25

If you’re anything like me, you generally know what’s going on in the world around you. After reading news headlines on Twitter, or even watching the TV for five minutes, you know that the world isn’t always as happy as we’d like it to be. So whenever something negative comes around, I use these simple tips and tricks to put me in a better mood.

1. Listen to a ‘jams’ playlist on Spotify.

I’m constantly updating mine with feel good songs that make my heart happy. Currently I’ve been listening to Cage the Elephant & Halsey. Music helps the brain to escape and to take a break. So whenever you feel down, have a playlist ready to boost your mood.

2. Take a walk.

Again, if you’re anything like me, you hate taking time out of your busy day just to exercise. But when I see something unsettling or disturbing in the media, walking is an outlet for my stress. Even if it’s just a walk around my neighborhood or a light run on a treadmill, just getting my body and brain moving. It’s even better if it’s a nice evening and the weather will cooperate.

3. Read every angle.

Sometimes it’s hard not to read biased articles on recent events, but when something negative happens in our world, it’s imperative to know each side. Being informed on situations can often give us a different side of the story we wouldn’t have previously thought of, which can change our attitudes towards things.

4. Talk it out.

Whether you’re active on social media and can have conversations there or if it’s one-on-one with a friend. Sometimes it’s good to get your mind off of the problem or to discuss it with others.

5. Be present.

This is quite easily the most important tip. It’s easy to worry about the past or the future, but don’t forget to stay present. Don’t get too caught up in the negative aspects of life and try to focus on the now. Yeah that might sound cliche, but it’s the truth. Once you train your brain to focus on the positive things that are happening right around you, you’ll notice a difference in your attitude towards life.

In life, there are bound to be negative situations around us, but it is up to us to decide how we react to those events. Being positive is a trait anyone can acquire, but it takes patience. Just remember to take everything one day at a time and everything will end up okay.