Choose to be Happy

Choose to be Happy

Workload getting you down? Here's some key points to remember

12
Choose to be Happy
MySpace

Feeling a little down in the dumps is normal, especially as the weather gets colder and our bodies get ready for winter. The days get shorter, air gets cooler, and the workload becomes harder-- we’ve all been there. Some days it would be easier to just not get out of bed, or not do our assignments. I’ve felt this way recently, especially as a college freshman getting used to a new home. My dad visited me last week and gave me some tough love and a long talk. Growing up he always told me “Choose to be happy” but I never fully took his advice in. After his lecture I realized that the importance of his motto, and to keep one thing in mind: your mindset determines your happiness.

Think about how many times a day you hear “my life sucks” or “I cannot do this.” Why is it so common for us to feel sorry for ourselves, or limit ourselves to something less than our true potential? Ultimately every day, when we wake up we have two choices:

Choose to be upset about the things of this world. Choose to be happy. And so I challenge you to:

Cultivate your thoughts.

Think about how your life isn’t about all the things that you say you cannot do, and change them into things you can and will do. It’s so easy to give up and think “I’m not good enough for this” but in reality you determine your own abilities. You’re as smart and talented as you think you are, so why not live up to your full potential?

Don’t spend your time worrying.

Thinking about things you can’t change restricts you. Take hold of your mind and your life. Worrying is a waste of time and ultimately it doesn’t provide you with any service, just drags you down!

Make healthy choices.

We hear this all the time, but exercise makes a huge difference in your ability to think and feel good about yourself. Even if it’s taking a short study break and go for a short jog, it’ll wake you up and get your blood pumping. Eating healthy can be hard to do when you’re in college and living on a small budget, but there are definitely ways to eat healthy! Eat less ice cream and pizza, eat more eggs and veggies. Eat clean, trust me you’ll feel a huge difference, especially as you bloat less.

Call your mentor.

Someone that you look up to or that gives good advice is someone you need to stay close to. Remember even when you’re old, you’re still young enough to learn how to improve. If you talk to someone who can give you perspective on your life or remind you why you made these choices, it’ll help you get to the next step. Don’t let yourself be alone.

We’re always looking to the next step and wondering when life will get better; you have the power to make right now that time. Look at the people who changed our world, Thomas Edison, for example. Crazy to think about the concept of a lightbulb-- Imagine being the one to discover electricity! He never gave up, and tried multiple methods to create his invention. That can be you, keep working, stay positive, think of the happiness. Life isn’t all that bad, if you choose to not let it be. Remember, you must

choose to be happy.