Tricks For Staying On Top Of Your Course Load This Semester

11 Tips And Tricks For Staying On Top Of Your Course Load This Semester

Don't wait until the 11th hour to take on your course load this semester. With these 11 tips you can stay on top of your course-load and prevent that procrastination panic during finals week.

47
Photo by Eliott Reyna on Unsplash

It's easy to fall behind on discussion posts and class readings. But with these tips you can make the most of this semester !

1. Read the syllabus.

Seriously. I don't understand how people get through their classes without reading their syllabi. If a class is a piece of furniture that needs assembly, the syllabus is the blueprint. Yes, you can probably figure out what goes where and how to put it together without looking at the instructions, but you would save yourself a lot more time and frustration if you would just read the thing.

For example: Is attendance a percentage of your final grade? What about class participation? Is there any extra credit opportunities? Will one of your test or homework grades be dropped? Does your professor grade using the plus and minus scale?

This kind of information can factor in how you prioritize and participate in your classes.You'll save yourself a lot of frustration and disappointment if you figure these things out at the beginning of the semester instead of the week before finals.

2. Put important dates in your planner.

Photo by STIL on Unsplash

Any test or assignment that is going to make up at least 10% of your grade or more needs to be put in some sort of planner. You can use an app like Google calendar, you can buy a nice organizer from the bookstore, or you can even make your own planner from scratch. Nothing is worse than walking into class and the person next to you asks if you've finished the essay and thinking what essay?? Don't let due dates and tests catch you off guard. Write it down in a planner and check that thing every week. Don't just look at this week either! Look ahead to the next week too so you are fully aware of what's coming.

3. Keep track of weekly readings.

I use a little white board to write down what readings I am expected to have read for certain days. The white board stays on my wall next to my textbooks so that I can grab one of my books, read a certain chapter, and then wipe the required reading off the board. I like having it all in one place. You could put all of the readings into your planner, but that is a lot of work and it can easily distract from all of the important due dates that you put in your agenda from tip #2.

4. A-N-N-O-T-A-T-E.

Photo by Amy Velazquez on Unsplash

Annotate your text, annotate your books, annotate power points, annotate the syllabus. Take notes in class, preferably by hand.

If you know a discussion post or paper is coming up, chances are you'll be asked to cite the readings you were supposed to have done. If it's available ahead of time, read the prompts. This will help you to know what to look for as you read.

If the prompt isn't available ahead of time, still annotate your texts for big ideas or anything that relates to what was discussed in class or in the course summary. (By the way, the course summary can be found in, you guessed it, the syllabus.)

Look at big paragraphs and summarize the main idea in just 2-3 words in the margins. Notice the outline and organization of how the reading is laid out--are the discussed topics related, or juxtaposed? Highlight definitions or ideas that are explained in sequence.

e.g. People usually eat three meals a day. The first is breakfast. Breakfast is... The second meal of the day is lunch. Most people eat lunch at noon... Typically, the last meal of the day is dinner. Dinner is essential because...

Your professor has asked you to read these passages for a reason. and unlike in high school, you are no longer being asked to just regurgitate what you've read but to think critically about it.

5. Be an active reader.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

This goes hand-in-hand with annotating. It's not enough to memorize text. You need to be able to analyze it, think about it critically, and discuss it. Try discussing the readings before class with other classmates. Ask a friend if they will listen to you explain or summarize what the author is trying to say. Ask the professor questions you had about the assigned readings, be engaged.

This is how you can really get the bang for your buck with your college education. These readings have been picked out by a professional in the field for a reason, they're worth comprehending.

6. Schedule chunks of time where you will work on assignments.

Some people might have lots of energy at the end of the day or just be natural night owls who work best at night. Schedule your homework time for what works best for you, just make sure to set a time for it.

I'm naturally a morning person and I'm typically on campus from 8-5pm so at the end of the day, I'm beat. If that sounds like you too then: Look at your schedule. Look at when you will be in class, at work, volunteering, or just generally "busy."

The key to scheduling time to work on homework is to make those time blocks 1) before work, class, and volunteering and 2) never past midnight. After a long day, you most likely will be too tired to get anything done and instead you'll just scroll through facebook until its too late to get any real work done. Or you will start getting real work done but sacrifice your sleep for the sake of finishing assignments late into the evening.

So schedule your blocks of time for homework either between obligations or before you have to leave the house.

7. Schedule chunks of time when you will NOT work on assignments.

Photo by IN BOSSMODE on Unsplash

If you try to make yourself do homework every single time you have a chance to sit down you are going to burn out. I know I am not going to get any work done after a long day no matter how long I stare at my laptop. Instead of wasting that time feeling stressed out or guilty for not being productive, use that time to relax.

Schedule a breather during the time when you are most in need of a break.

I try to meal prep on the weekend to cut down on cooking during the school week. I also allow myself to take a nap, watch a tv episode, chat with friends, or just relax when I'm feeling my least energetic.

I make my schedule work for me and not the other way around. I know when I feel most productive or when I need a break and I schedule my obligations and breaks accordingly.

8. Don’t let reading become something you hate.

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Just like how you will burn out if you try to work every time you have free time, you will also get sick of reading if you only ever read for school. Try to give your brain a break from information-dense texts and pick up something fun.

Try to read one book of your choice each semester. Read research articles about topics you're interested or that don't get discussed in your classes. Or follow a blog that interests you, or hey--maybe read some of my other articles!

Try to remember how it felt when you got your first public library card and you probably checked out more children's fiction books than you could carry. Reading used to be fun then, right? It still can be!

9. If you fall behind, get back up.

Once you miss one assignment it becomes two and then three, and then you are whole weeks behind in school work. It is far too easy to see the mountain of past and future assignments and feel overwhelmed. Try to take a step back from everything and prioritize what really needs doing. The best way to do this is to take it out of your head and put it onto paper or a digital document. Make a game plan. If you can catch up on everything, that's great! If not, focus on what feels feasible to finish or what will make up the most of your percentage grade. Ask friends to catch up on readings or notes and talk to the professor. It can be daunting and difficult but you can make it to the end of the semester even if it means withdrawing from classes, asking for grade forgiveness, or failing a class.

10. It's okay to ask for help.

If you're missing classes or turning in assignments late, sometimes it helps to talk to the professor about what's happening on your end. If you don't say anything you are going to look like you just don't care about their class. Most of the time, professors understand that stuff happens and they'll work with you to finish the semester strong.

There are plenty of other resources, too, that can help you if you're struggling academically. You can turn to tutoring programs, accessibility programs, and more. Be it financial concerns, friends or family, health issues, or stress--there are programs available to help you. All you have to do is reach out.

11. Put your health first and your classes second.

Photo by Kinga Cichewicz on Unsplash

Maybe this sounds familiar to you: "In college, you're a student first" or "Treat your academics like it's your full-time job." Those sentiments are not wrong or meant with ill-intent. However, it can be easy to take your academics a little too seriously. A big part of college is being able to prioritize tasks and responsibilities like an adult. When your academics, or anything for that matter, start to have a negative impact on your overall health--be it physical, mental, or emotional--you've taken things too far. You can't perform well academically if you are a tired, caffeine junky or a puddle of tears and frustration. Eat well, exercise, socialize, and go to sleep.