Being A Stay-At-Home-Mom Is A Job Too

Being A Stay-At-Home-Mom Is A Job Too

"She's a stay-at-home-mom, she can do whatever she wants."

Actually, no, she can't.

1106
Being A Stay-At-Home-Mom Is A Job Too

My mom's been a stay-at-home-mom for as long as I can remember. Yes, she has held a job before. But she decided to put her three kids before a career and, honestly, that takes a lot of courage and respect.

She's been told a lot of things—how she's lazy, how she should get a job, how she needs to do more things, etc. I think all of those comments are ignorant. Unless you've ever been a stay-at-home-mom or have had a mom as one, you don't get to make a comment about it. Because if you knew what those moms did, you wouldn't be disrespecting them.

My mom is a superhero, and no matter how cliche that sounds, it's true. My mom does everything and more, and she's able to do those things BECAUSE she stays home. My mom doesn't sit around all day and do nothing... That would be lazy. Instead, my mom works around the house, takes care of the dogs, pays the bills, runs errands for herself and the family. I don't even know the last time my mom has been able to catch a break.

If my mom worked, she never would have been able to take care of my grandma when she was sick. If my mom worked, she never would have been able to chaperone my Quill & Scroll trips. If my mom worked, I would have never been able to come home on the weekends from Penn State. If my mom worked, I never would have been able to do anything after school until I was able to drive myself.

There's no disrespect here to moms that DO work, trust me, all of the power to you. However, just because my mom doesn't have a paying job, doesn't mean she doesn't work every day.

My mom puts others before herself, ALWAYS. My mom could be napping or taking a bubble bath, and she still picks up on the first or second ring when I call. My mom can NOT do whatever she wants because she is always looking out for her family instead. My mom drops EVERYTHING to accommodate to us. Now, that doesn't mean me and my family are spoiled. No, it means we are loved beyond what we could have ever imagined.

In truth, now remember, this is only MY opinion, I think stay-at-home-moms have it a lot harder than those that work. And that's not to say it's that case all of the time. Though, as I've grown up with my mom and watched her work for us every single day, it is the hardest task anyone could ever do.

My mom does something beautiful and challenging every single day. She raises a family and takes care of a household. Until my dad comes home at night, it's all up to her to make sure we have our heads on straight.

My life would not be the same without her. She truly made me the person I am today (hey, dad, you as well :P). If she wasn't home all the time, I would have had no one to cry to when I was bullied at school. I would have had no one to pick me up from school when I was punched in the gut. I would have had no one to talk to in the kitchen for hours and annoy the crap out of.

I wouldn't have the best friend I have today.

It is correct that my mom doesn't get paid every day to do what she does. But, what's better? A paycheck or the love of a family and the smile on her husband's and kids' faces when we all come home? You tell me.