Why You Should Start A Hobby In College

Why You Should Start A Hobby In College

Because reading hundreds of pages of academic reading is exhausting. And so is scrolling through TikTok.

778
Why You Should Start A Hobby In College
Muhammad Haikal Sjukri / Unsplash

This is a response to “Yes, I’m An English Major Who Doesn’t Read Much Outside Of Class”

When people used to ask what I did for fun I didn’t really know what to say. In high school, I worked and ran cross country and track outside of classes. For most of my college experience, I didn’t have a lot of time outside of classes, work, and hanging out with friends to spend by myself, developing hobbies. Sure, I liked working out and watching Netflix, but other than that I didn’t really do anything for fun.

I came into this year, though, with new year’s resolutions blazing. One is to read at least one book every month, another is to learn some basic Japanese, and another is to learn how to crochet. I’ve incorporated each of these goals into my routine in some way, even if it’s spending twenty minutes working on them each day.

But why should you learn a new hobby during one of the busiest times of your life? Isn’t scrolling through social media after a day full of classes a good way to destress? Lowkey, I would agree that sometimes it is. However, there are many advantages to making time in your day to work on something you’re passionate about or want to learn more about!

Hobbies that require creativity, whether it’s painting or writing, help you have a different perspective and experience new things at school and work. Hobbies that involve physical activity create chemical changes in your body that allow you to de-stress. Even if the hobby doesn’t require physical activity, getting a short break from classes or homework to do something you enjoy can refresh your mind and help you prepare to handle challenges in the future.

Hobbies can allow you to explore different subjects without the stress that classes can sometimes put on you. As the original author notes, it can be hard to dedicate your time to a hobby that will have no direct impact on your academic career. As a psychology major, the content of my classes can sometimes be repetitive. The most recent book I read was about a man thriving in the arctic with his dog. How cool is it to grow your knowledge outside of your comfort zone and take a break from what you study all the time? Perhaps a hobby that is different from reading would be best for the original author who reads all the time, like painting or jewelry making.

Hobbies can help increase your confidence too! The journey of growing through your hobby and becoming good at something gives you a sense of purpose outside of class and work. Even more so, you may grow outside of your comfort zone and become more confident about challenging yourself.

As a senior this year whose graduating in May, it’s nice to finally have more time to spend with friends and work on my hobbies due to my more open and flexible class schedule. Although the looming post-grad crisis is sure to make an appearance at some point this semester, it comforts me to know that I’ll have a diverse set of hobbies to continue to learn and grow, both as a person and through different skills.

Here are some places to start:

121 Creative Hobbies To Try in 2023

9 Unplugged Hobbies To Try In 2023

27 Hobby Ideas That Are Both Cheap And Fun To Try In 2023