Starbuck's New Lids Are A Step In The Eco Friendly Direction

Eliminating straws to eliminate waste.

369
flickr.com

Starbucks recently introduced a line of new Nitro Cold Brew coffees as well as cold foam that goes right on top of these drinks. With this new drink, comes a new lid.

While it may look like a glorified sippy cup (which it kinda is), this cup top was designed to allow consumers to get the flavor and texture of the foam that comes along with drinks like the traditional cappuccino as well as the coffee. With a straw, it would just be a normal coffee.

However, this new lid does more than help get the full flavor of the drink. This lid is a step in the right direction to eliminating straws and helping the environment. By switching to a straw-free, eco-friendly lid, Starbucks is eliminating one-use plastic.

In the United States, 500 million straws are used a day. This means that 500 million straws are thrown out every single day and will never break down since they are not biodegradable. Starbuck's new lids will help eliminate this waste and hopefully they will soon implement the use of these lids for all cold drinks, not just those with foam.