5 Starbucks Hacks For The Broke College Coffee Addict

With only five dollars in my pocket, you know I'm spending it on coffee.

195

Fall semester rolls around and all coffee addicts sprint to Starbucks (on the daily) to fuel their caffeine needs. Day after day of Starbs’ starts to add up, and your bank account slowly begins to cry out, “Stop spending money!” Follow these five hacks to save money while drinking your daily dose of coffee.

1. Take advantage of refills.

At most Starbucks locations you can snag a 50 cent refill on any iced/hot coffee or tea during your visit to the store. Usually, you can extend your 50c refill throughout the day, especially if you go to the same Starbucks on your campus. Take your used cup, bring it to the counter, and ask for a refill on your drink.

2. Use a personal cup.

Avoid wasting plastic/paper and save money by bringing a personal cup to Starbucks. The baristas will take your cup and match it to the closest Starbs’ size (tall, grande, or venti). You receive a 10c discount off of your drink.

3. Avoid specialty drinks.

Some of the most popular and new Starbucks drinks are almost twice the price of regular coffee or tea. Before you order a Pink Drink or Iced Cascara Coconut Milk Latte, compare the price to a similar drink on the menu. Cents do add up over time, so do not overlook a 50 cent price difference when choosing your drink. Ask your barista if there are drinks similar to the new version before ordering.

4. Become friends with your baristas.

Starbucks baristas are people too! Chat with them while they make your drink, treat them with respect, and avoid being “that customer” in line who complains about how slow it is taking. If you are lucky, they may treat you to a free drink from time-to-time.

5. Set a realistic coffee goal.

At the end of the day, only you know how many times you visited your local Starbs. Set a monetary goal for how much you are willing to spend on coffee per week. Small purchases add up throughout the semester -- do not waste it all on coffee!