Why We Should Be More Open To The Changes In 'The Last Jedi'

Many people dive into movies and television shows they love and even try to embody some of the characters.

17
LucasFilm

I’ve always wondered why people get so emotional during movies and television shows. I will admit, there are quite a few shows and movies that have definitely made certain feelings rise in me, especially if it’s a movie or show that I’m really invested in. However, some people get so emotionally connected to some films to the point where they actually go insane or just lose their cool over some minor things.

Case in point, we all know that the new "Star Wars" movie, "Star Wars: The Last Jedi," recently came out. Me being a huge "Star Wars" fan, I went to see it with a few of my friends. Prior to going, I heard some reviews that it was the worst "Star Wars" movie ever, that this movie was a disgrace to the franchise, blah blah blah. I also heard amazing reviews about the movie, so regardless, I was going to see it and enjoy it because of my love for the franchise.

Even though I respect other people’s opinions, some people’s reasoning for saying this movie sucked made no sense. For instance, one person stated that they hated the fact that Luke’s character seemed so dry (don’t worry, for those of you reading who haven’t seen it yet, this doesn’t spoil anything). It’s crazy how people think that Hollywood should do what they want them to do, and if a movie isn’t what that individual wanted, then the movie is instantly “trash” or “the worst movie ever made.” As fans of something, people should be more open to characters in movies and television shows developing in different ways, changing directions a bit, and sometimes becoming a completely different character. That’s what makes things unique: progression. But what do I know really, I’m just a nerd who really loves "Star Wars."