'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Trailer Left Me Confused
Film

The end of an era.

66

Many questions arise after viewing the teaser trailer for the upcoming film, "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker," set to release in December 2019. The film, being the ninth episode in the beloved story, is expected to tie up loose ends and reveal many twists.

The Skywalker saga has been going on for about 40 years. Some feel that the storyline has been drawn out, while others marvel over the new generation of characters. To fully grasp what the upcoming film entails, we must analyze the trailer, in full depth.

It opens on a scene with Rey, standing in a desert, breathing heavily and looking fearless, as always. We hear Luke speaking over the scene, confirming Rey's role as the "legend" of her generation. Rey then whips out Luke's lightsaber, runs and dodges an oncoming ship (the pilot being unknown to us). The scenes shift from Kylo Ren attacking someone in a forest, to characters from the previous films, BB8 with a new droid, and Chewbacca and Lando piloting the Millennium Falcon. The trailer peaks to a wholesome clip of Leia and Rey embracing, then show someone's hands holding the medal of honor. We see a breathtaking view of what seems to be remnants of the Death Star, with our characters standing heroically, looking out on the landscape. Then the ultimate confusion begins: the screen fades to nothing and we hear menacing laughter from, who many fans have speculated, Emperor Palpatine. So much happens within this short span of 2 minutes. It is only expected to finish the trailer with questions and speculations.

The title, "The Rise of Skywalker," reveals many key elements in itself. We know that Rey is probably the one to rise up and save the day, so could the title be a clue to her relationship with Luke? It only makes sense to finish her story by filling in the holes of her background. If the Skywalker is not Rey, then who could it be? Also, as seen in "The Last Jedi," Kylo Ren had found a spark of light within him, battling alongside Rey. Does that light disappear? We see in the trailer someone patching together his mask, which could be signifying his return to the dark side.

The last scenes of the teaser trailer are the most confusing and powerful. The medal of honor takes us all the way back to the beginning, being an item received by Luke in "A New Hope." The destroyed Death Star laying crumbled in the water could be a sign of returning evil. The laugh at the end of the trailer has to belong to Palpatine. According to IMDB, his name is on the cast list. He died along with the Death Star, but maybe his return will tie up the Skywalker story in an unexpected way. The last words Luke says before the laughing begins is, "…no one's ever really gone."

Director J.J. Abrams has stated in many interviews that this film is a story of its own, no matter how hard his team tried to include everything from previous plots. By giving the new generation a chance to change the course of events one final time, the Star Wars saga will hopefully end in good tone, concluding the timeless story.

You can watch the trailer here.