Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek is Boldly Going Once More!

17
Star Trek: Discovery
Dvsgaming.org
“What I can say is that when Bryan Fuller invented Star Trek: Discovery and conceived it, he found a niche in the chronology that allows for another stream.”- Nicholas Meyer

Any fan of Star Trek can tell you that the acclaimed franchise will never truly die. And this could not be more true than it is today, when after five TV series, one animated series, and 13 movies spanned over the course of 50 years, Star Trek is back once more. Brian Fuller (Creator of Hannibal, American Gods, and Pushing Daisies) is now making Star Trek: Discovery, set in between the prequel TV show Star Trek Enterprise and The Original Series. However, the twist is that Discovery will be set in the timeline of the three most recent Star Trek films. Confusing right? But an interesting take as Fuller explained is that Discovery is a means to “bridge the gap between Enterprise and the original series”. While there is no official release date, Fuller expects Discovery to premiere in late 2017 if not sooner, releasing around 10 episodes per season. Fuller wants to keep the show from dragging on and keep the audiences interested. Fuller says if Discovery released 26 episodes per season like the other series' “it would fatigue the show. Ideally, I would like to do 10 episodes. I think that’s a tighter story."

A few weeks ago, the first official trailer was released, showing the viewers the main cast of characters. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon actress Michelle Yeoh will be playing Captain Georgiou, while Sonequa Martin-Green from The Walking Dead will be playing the first female African-American lead in Star Trek history. The diversity of the cast alone should get people excited for this new series of Star Trek. It seems as though what original creator Gene Roddenberry’s vision, of a truly diverse and dynamic cast, may be fully on its way. While Star Trek has always been a proprietor for civil rights and inclusion, it is these types of huge leaps that make me excited to see this new and exciting series.

“This ship is called the Discovery for a few reasons, not the least of which is Stanley Kubrick’s contribution to the Discovery on 2001: A Space Odyssey, NASA’s vessel the Discovery, and also the sense of discovery.” -Bryan Fuller.