Standardized Test Didn't Predict My College Success
Education

To The Standardized Test That Said I Was 'Average,' You Were So Wrong About My Success

My test score said I would have a difficult time in college and would never be more than average, but I am on the Dean's list and have a 4.1 for the semester, if you ask me, that's above average.

122

We all dread those horrible standardized tests, giving up an entire Saturday to take a test with more questions than time and provide an unfair representation of our knowledge. Every student has a different high school experience and has different learning styles, something the ACT and SAT fail to recognize. So here is this test that is supposed to represent our knowledge and our abilities, and basically, decide our entire lives, but they aren't accurate.

Now if you know me you're probably thinking "OK whatever, you are smart and got into your dream school what do you know about a low ACT score" and as much as flattering as that may be, I did not score above average on my ACT. Compared to my high school GPA and everything I was involved in high school, I could see why you might think I would do well. After all, I was in the top 10%, had a 4.0 when I graduated, and walked away with enough college credit from dual enrollment and AP tests to graduate a year early, as well as in several clubs that required high academic performance.

But none the less, my score was just average.

I definitely did not have the worst ACT score but it wasn't great either. It was just average and many universities accepted me with the assumption I would be nothing but simply average. I would pass my classes and that would be about it, probably be members of a few organizations here and there, but I wouldn't be anything more than average. My test score prohibited me from scholarships, honors college, and even the shortlists for some universities. At the end of the day, I did get into my dream school and I did get to attend The University of Alabama but with nothing more than the assumption that I would be average.

But I am so much more than average. I was on the Dean's list last semester, which only about 11,000 students are on out of about 33,300 undergraduate students. I have a 4.1 thus far in the semester, I have been accepted into the Honors College, and I am a candidate for accelerated masters, and have a plan to get my undergraduate and masters degree in a total of 4 years. I am a part of some of the most competitive programs at the university and I am succeeding in all of them.

So to that test that said I would be nothing more than average and would not succeed in college, you were wrong. I am doing so much more than average, I am thriving. Stop using a test to determine a student's academic value, because we are so much more than a number.

To every other student who was just deemed "average" or "below average", you are so much more than that test, so go ahead and prove that score wrong, because it is. A test or number does NOT determine my value or ability to succeed, because I am more than some number on a piece of paper, I am capable and I was made for success and nothing less. My test score does not define me.