We Stand On Opposite Sides of the Wall
Politics

We Stand On Opposite Sides of the Wall

A Nation Under God, inDIVISIBLE, with LIBERTY and JUSTICE for all?

32
We Stand On Opposite Sides of the Wall
Barely Adventist

Beginning of rant of things that bother me as of lately, politically.

On September 5th Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the White House is ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that allowed young undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children to receive work authorization, driver’s licenses. He is quoted saying

“We firmly believe this is the responsible path,” Sessions added. “To have a lawful system of immigration that serves the national interest, we cannot admit everyone who would like to come here.”

An ignorant statement.

The reason being because in order to get accepted into DACA they have to run on a criminal background check, and if any criminal activity is found in your background, you're not accepted. Furthermore, this program was created by the Obama administration for children whose parents brought them here. Now don't target the parents and punish them for wanting to bring their children here, they migrated here so their children could receive more opportunities than they would have in their homeland. Be it education or work wise. The opportunites America offers are not the same elsewhere.

Now don't get started with the whole

"If you want to be here come here the right way."

Wouldn't you think it was so simple that everyone would be here, "The right way." It's a long process, it's expensive, and not everyone gets accepted easily. People come here because they want a better life, they don't come here with the intention of stealing your jobs. They do the jobs you don't want to do, at a low hourly wage, which believe it or not is still more than what they would make back in their homeland. On a sidenote if you truly wanted to do these jobs we "illegals" have taken from you your unemployment rate wouldn't be so high.

According to an article published by the New York Times published September 21st, 2016, it gets straight forward starting from the title "Immigrants Aren’t Taking Americans’ Jobs, New Study Finds". In the article it talks about how the research was conducted by 14 different economists and other scholars to come to the conclusion that illegal immigrants are not taking your jobs.

I could go on forever expressing my opinion on how I feel about the whole illegal immigrant situation but I will just conclude with this. Never in my 20 years of living have I experienced or seen as much racism as I have ever since President Donald Trump got elected into office.

The amount of times I've had to bite my tounge, it's unbearable.

I've been told I don't belong here. How do I not belong to the country I was born in?

I've been told to speak English, but my first language was Spanish, how can I abandon that?

This oppression is just becoming ridiculous.

I work at a restaurant in a diverse community with the expectation that diversity is something that is accepted. However, as of lately, it seems as if the cloak that was hiding the racism has been taken off and people proudly walk around letting the hate they carry within them linger. That is not okay. We live in a country that is made up of immigrants of all different colors, races, religions, and beliefs. It should be taught from early on that acceptance is something to be obtained, and something that should not be a rarity. I believe people should be addressed for who they are, not what they are. What they are is simply a label, who they are is their true character.

It's terrifying seeing how we prioritize building a wall over doing something about the water problem in Flint, Michigan or supporting Standing Rock or investing it in our Education system or doing something about the poor lives the homeless people of our country are living. To put this in perspective for you President Trump's wall that he plans on building is estimated an upwards of $25 billion, world hunger could be solved with around $30 billion. Again, terrifying that our country has the power to end world hunger, but we choose to invest in building a wall to separate ourselves from our neighboring country to keep "criminals" out. If being a criminal is risking your life for a better future, then I guess I've had the wrong idea.

Rant over.