When You Can't Take Your Own Advice

When You Can't Take Your Own Advice

You write another article.
372

How many emotional breakdowns have you had this week?

I’ve had at least two and by the way, I’m writing this on a Tuesday. These past few weeks I’ve found myself googling more than once, “daily devotional for stress,” “stress relieving activities,” and “how does stress affect your health?” I even wrote two articles on the topic of stress, so why am I still having this issue? I’m still taking criticism harshly, I’m still struggling to keep up with classes and work, not to mention a social life.

Still calling family and having nothing good to say in response to “how are you?” If I’ve had two devotionals published already, why am I compelled to write another?

Here’s why. I’ve been attending church more often, reading the bible more, praying throughout the day, and constantly reminding myself of His sovereignty. Because of this, I’m a greater target for a spiritual attack. This is when Satan tries to tell me that God is the source of my trouble.

It’s as if he is saying, “You’ve been asking your God for help, but He isn’t helping you, so give up and stop relying on Him.” Satan may say this to you, but Deuteronomy 31:6 says “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave nor forsake you.”

Contrary to what Satan wants, the more troubles I face and the more stress I’m under, the more I’m reliant on God, the more I’m closer to Jesus. Nothing in this world has the power to break me, pull me, or separate me from God. Though the world may mock me, hate what I believe, hate what I write, frankly, my dear I don’t give a damn.

It’s easy for me to sit at a computer inside, out of the cold, and type this out while sipping hot coffee and feeling in control for a little while. I may have forgotten exactly what happened the other morning when the sun hadn’t risen yet and someone was already yelling in my face. I may have allowed their disappointment in me to ruin my morning. I allowed it to add to my ever-present pile of stress.

It’s easy now, but it wasn’t easy then. And it won’t always be easy. This is why I’m here now. I’m here because I need to remind those who read my articles, and remind myself, that God is our refuge, He is our strength. This is why I continually read Ephesians 6:11-2, Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”

I dearly hope not, because in writing these articles, I remind myself that God is sovereign. He can carry my burden, I can hand over the things that stress me out. He wants me to hand it over. So do it, just hand over control to Jesus.