The Many Stages of Midterms, As Told By "Harry Potter"

Magical midterms and muggle midterms really are one and the same...

90
latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com

"Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations, more commonly known as OWLS." Week six of classes, more commonly known as midterms. Magical midterms and muggle midterms bear such resemblance, they're essentially one and the same. So close, in fact, I wonder everyday how my invitation was lost in the mail. This being said, you can be sure that our good friends at Hogwarts will forever be here to help us through.

1. "No good sitting worrying about it. What's coming will come, and we'll meet it when it does".

- Rubeus Hagrid

Oh, the first day back, so full of promise and opportunity. With midterms at least six weeks away, how could one possibly have a care in the world?

2. "Keep calm and go to the library".

- Hermione Granger

Three weeks down, three more to go. Knowing Hermione, she started studying at least one week before school began, so what does this mean? It's time for us to venture to the library, while we can still do so calmly. Is that the book screaming at us to study, or our work ethic?

3. "Eat. You'll feel better".

- Remus Lupin

My goodness, where does the time go? In the blink of an eye, the six weeks before midterms transformed into one. There's so much to do, and so little time to do it. How could we possibly take a break for basic necessities like food and sleep? Remus Lupin reminds us we can, and thus, we have but two options: drop by during his office hours for a piece of chocolate, or locate the nearest tub of Ben and Jerry's.

4. "WHAT. AN. IDIOT".

- Hermione Granger

In every midterm, there is always that one student; the one who gets locked out, the one who didn't study enough, or the one who simply didn't study at all. We all know that student isn't Hermione Granger, so to whom is she referring? Only time will tell.

5. "Turn to page 394".

- Severus Snape

Oh Snape, please, have mercy! How about you, chemistry professor? Feel like canceling class? We just can't bear to do it. Gazing upon page one is terrifying enough, so let's not even mention page 394. Now we know how Ron must've felt while meeting Aragog. This midterm is no better than a massive spider staring us straight in the face.

6. "I'd like a nice cup of tea, or a large brandy".

- Albus Dumbledore

Well said, Professor. It's time, folks, to congregate over a frothy mustache at The Three Broomsticks, because no matter the outcome, midterms are over. The answers cannot be changed, nor can the scores, so let's reminisce upon hours of lost sleep. Here's to our best efforts, and the start of Fall Break.

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case, you have failed by default".

- J. K. Rowling

Let's face it: this is college. You are bound to make mistakes, and you are bound to fail something on occasion. There will be days when our hats aren't sorted, days when we could use a little bit of liquid luck. But for now, here's to you, college student: you've survived midterms once again. And while we're at it, here's to you J.K. Rowling, for getting us through many years, and always preparing us for those to come.