The 5 Stages Of Grief: Post-Concert Edition

I don't think I'll ever recover from this.

21
Toria Clarke

Oh, concerts, how I love thee. If you're anything like me, there's no better feeling than seeing a band that you love (read: are totally obsessed with) live in concert. To be able to sing every word to every song along with your favorite band is actually pretty magical.

This past weekend, I was given the opportunity to see many of my favorite bands at The Hangout Music Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It was a weekend filled with joy and memories, but now that it's over, things have been looking pretty bleak. This feeling of emptiness is called post-concert depression, and it's doing a great job at consuming me. Be warned, fellow concert goers, post-concert depression is real and it comes in stages, but you will get over it in time.

Stage 1: Denial

"This can't be over." "I'm not ready to say goodbye to the band." "Can we just make them stay until they sing every song they've ever written?" "I'm not leaving the venue until security forces me out." You're going to deny the fact that the show is indeed actually over, and you're going to have to move on with your life.

Stage 2: Anger

"Why is the show over?!" "I hate this dumb band for making me feel so attached to them!!" You're probably going to be a little upset and angry with your favorite band once they leave the stage. It's okay, though, you'll still love them even when you hate them.

Stage 3: Bargaining

"Please, God, I'll do anything for you if you make them come back on stage and sing the crowd another song." As you leave the venue, wiping the tears from your eyes, you'll probably be willing to do anything if it means seeing the lead singer belt out another hit song.

Stage 4: Depression

It's done. It's over. The band has finished and you aren't okay with it. Just when you thought your feelings over sorrow couldn't get any worse, they do.

Stage 5: Acceptance

In time (I won't say how much time because the grieving period is different for everyone), you will begin to accept the fact that your concert is over. You'll probably have to re-watch the videos you captured on your phone 100+ times, but you will eventually get used to post-concert life.

Attending a concert is a way to show how much you appreciate your favorite artists and bands. Like I said before, seeing your favorite band live is unlike anything you've ever experienced. Concerts can allow you to see how hard your favorite artists are working and can really show you just how much they care about their fans.