Top 5 Tips For Maintaining Your Mental Stability During A Big Move

Move forward with the best possible you.

230
Bruce Mars

Many people get a thrill from moving to a new place, enjoying the nervous anticipation of a big life change. It's the promise of a fresh start and new faces. It's the opportunity to change your career path or get that bold haircut you've always wanted. It's exciting—but it can also be extraordinarily stressful and debilitating to your mental health if you don't prepare properly. Here are a few tips to prevent emotional distress and keep your brain happy and healthy during a big move.

5. Create your moving schedule several months before you leave.

Pick dates to do the following tasks: reserve the moving truck, start collecting boxes, start applying for new jobs, make sure everything is set with your landlord or apartment office and give your two weeks notice at your job. In addition to this, start downsizing early on. Go through several rounds of "spring cleaning" until you're positive you're only moving the things you'll actually use in your new place. Post and sell your items in Facebook groups. Head to Plato's and try to sell unwanted clothing there. And then finally, drop the rest off at Goodwill. Doing this will make packing a breeze as well as leave your space feeling lighter and de-cluttered. Then, start pinning decorating ideas for your brand new bedroom!

4. Think of it as a project, not a new job.

Dedicate your spare time to moving efforts, but don't let it affect your job and class schedule. If you start early on, you should be able to do everything in your spare time, leaving you feeling less overwhelmed by the process. And if you can't help but be overwhelmed, remember there's an end in sight and the feelings that come with relocating won't last forever.

3. Make peace with everyone and everything you're leaving behind.

After a few years in one spot, you're bound to have burnt some bridges, whether you wanted to or not. Maybe you had a falling out with a friend, an ex-boyfriend you no longer speak to, a former boss you're not on good terms with. Make the conscious decision to let any negative feelings you harbor go as soon as you drive away from your town. Whether that means asking someone to have coffee to smooth things over or un-friending someone before you go, do it so you enter your new life with nothing but positivity.

2. Remember to live life day to day.

When your mindset is constantly on your future, you close yourself off from the friends and places you're surrounded with right now. But after you've left, there may be moments you wish you had this time back. And that's completely normal! Allow yourself to explore ideas of the future, but don't live there. Live in these days and cherish these moments before they're gone.

1. Don't let daydreams ruin your new reality.

Often we build up these elaborate ideas of what our life will look like post-move. No more annoying coworkers, long commutes, etc. But problems still exist wherever you're moving and you need to remember that before you get there. It takes time to build a great group of friends, get a job you love, start dating someone new, find your favorite brunch spot, etc. Don't let your expectations ruin your amazing new reality.

Pay attention to your mental health during this time and cut yourself some slack. Moving is difficult, but you're tough. You know that change is a part of life, so prepare for it, embrace it, and enjoy the next chapter of your life with the healthiest brain possible.