10 Small Ways To Perk Up Your Day This Spring

We could all use a tiny pick-me-up every now and then.

32
Instagram

In a world where it seems like all we do is rush, rush, rush to get from point A to point B, it's super important that we don't lose track of ourselves. What I mean by that is you matter just as much and in fact, even more than the goals you strive to accomplish on a day-to-day basis. Take the time for yourself. Take a moment to breathe. Whether you're walking between classes or leaving to go to work, doing a few of these small little things could majorly improve your outlook on the day, no matter how stressful. This article comes from my hippie-side that was raised and taught to appreciate the world around us instead of getting absorbed in the minute details.

1. Sit outside for a few moments.

Now that Spring is here, it can be tempting to ignore just how beautiful the day is and to simply rush from place to place. But chances are, you're really close to a public bench or sitting area. Take a second to sit, and just look at everything. Look at the sky, listen for birds, look at plants growing, and people watch. It doesn't have to be long- just ten minutes, and you'll continue on with your day feeling more refreshed. The best time to be out is either for sunrise or sunset.

2. People-watch.

This ties into the previous suggestion, but sometimes we forget that we are all humans in the same game of life. Sure, some of us may travel to finish line on different paths, but it's still all the collective human experience. It's really eye-opening to just sit and watch others go on about their day. Notice how they talk, how they walk, how much of a hurry they're in, their outfit, their whole persona. It's guaranteed to give you some perspective, and makes you more of a present person for taking note of others.

3. Listen to a new song.

Reserve a couple minutes in the morning before the start of your day to maybe give some new music a try. This is something I struggle with; once I find music I love, I listen to it endlessly and loyally. But I want to start expanding just how exactly I take in music and interpret it; hopefully, it'll help me become a better musician and also give me the chance to expend energy doing something unique to ease my mind.

*Strongly recommend the Golden Hour album by Kacey Musgraves

4. Eat lunch with a stranger.

As someone who proudly claims having social anxiety, this seems near impossible. Most people who do have a sit-down lunch everyday are there to relax from their busy day and might not want to engage in a long conversation. Simply asking to sit with someone is 100 times better than choosing to sit alone because you're forcing yourself into a situation with human interaction. But even small talk can really ease the awkwardness in the air, and you might even get along really well. It will definitely contribute to your self-confidence, and you'll just have a more fulfilled and memorable meal.

5. Treat yoself.

A mantra created by the genius characters Tom and Donna on Parks and Recreation, this is how I justify every purchase I make. If you haven't had ice cream in a while, find a new creamery in town and treat yourself to a small scoop. Sugar is a great pick-me-up, in moderation at least. And if it's not food, then whatever retail therapy your mind needs is justified.

6. Meditate.

I mentioned this in a previous article, but meditation is one of the healthiest things you can do for your body. There's a reason it originated in the ancient Hindu and Buddhist civilizations and why it's still around today. It works. Download an app, or just sit in a quiet room and do nothing. It can help you figure out what is bothering you and put that stress into perspective. Listen to your body and its movements during that time. You'll learn a lot about your mental health.

7. Read a book.

This seems to also be very difficult if you have a hectic schedule, but it's super important to read. Read a book, a magazine, a newspaper- anything. Just make sure what you are reading is healthy and positive so you're only supplying your mind with good energy. Even just 10 pages in a book every day can help you feel more present and give your mind a break from reality.

8. Take pictures of anything and everything.

As I get older, I realize that I don't have as many pictures or myself, my friends, my parents, or my favorite things and places and it only makes me sad. Take more pictures! They capture what it would take 1000 words to describe. Take pictures of the most random things or the more staged things. Either way, bring the photographer in you out to play.

9. Take a walk (preferably with your dog...if you have one).

Self-explanatory, but this planet is truly beautiful and every chance you don't take a moment to appreciate it, you miss out on a great experience. Be grateful and go observe the nature around you. Take a beloved doggo with you. Watch how they walk and investigate everything. No better way to learn how to appreciate nature than from a nature-loving animal.

10. Call a friend and chat for a while.

This works best if you haven't talked with that friend in a while. It gives you the chance to catch up and take your mind off of everything else. Long distance friend calls are best, because you really get a chance to focus on their voice and stories. It also brings back good memories, so your brain's chemical balance will lean towards the positive side.