Spring Shopping, Thrift Striving: How Thrift Shopping Can Breathe Life Into The Season

Summer is yours and if you only enter “thrift shop” in your search bar for your town or city, you should statistically find about at least ten close locations to visit.

19
Pexels | rawpixel.com

In Rochester NY, who is not waiting for a nice warm weather to come back? To go to the park, to the lakes, see the flowers blooming…as Nature gets back on its feet, second-hand shoppers do as well and don't waste a minute. In all the neighborhoods “garage sale” signs are blooming all over again! Here we are, ready to rise early with the sun for antiques and thrift markets!

Garage sales are definitely first on the list of second-hand shopping. They are a great opportunity to connect with neighbors and members of a community, share and recycle at low cost. In a neighborhood where people share similar life occupations and interest, where children of close age are growing up, it can be very profitable to create a micro-community economy. From there, you can create more specified exchange groups, one focused on clothes, another one on crafts, or even tools and lawnmower!

America is often represented as the ultimate society of materialism and consumerism where people buy superfluous things in massive mall centers. I would argue that if indeed capitalism and consumerism are strong influences on society, many alternatives and co-options are present and well-developed to balance it. For each shopping addict there is a thrift-shopping addict waiting at the doors of a Goodwill to find a most affordable treasure, and more important, a family in need that will benefit from this good excess.

Goodwill Industries International Inc. is the perfect example of flourishing second-hand charity association in America. Founded in 1902, it was started by Reverend Edgar J. Helms of Morgan Methodist Chapel in Boston as part of his ministry. In 2014, Goodwill organisations generated a total of $5.59 billion in revenue, 83 percent of which was spent directly on programs. The programs help to integrate people with disabilities and especially visually impaired into the working life. In 2015, the group served more than 37 million people, with more than 312,000 people placed into employment.

The economy of second-hand shopping is flourishing in America and those who search find. Most second-hand organisation have started as Christian communities willing to help providing for the poor and disabled. However, many businesses have found it to be a rewarding and lucrative activity. According to Menta Association, thrift shops nation-wide number in the upwards of 50,000 companies.

Today in America, if one desires to buy only new, expensive, trendy products for the rest of his or her lifespan, this is an option. However, if one desires to only furnish a house, fill up a closet and live on second-hand material only, this is an option as well. The lifestyle diversity of this country is a privilege and people would benefit from being more aware of their options. Students especially could sometimes use some awareness and training on how to live well at lower cost during a period of their life that may imply low resources. Yes, you can live a life without paying more than $2 for a shirt, $5 for jeans or dresses, $10 for a shelf or a table and still be fashionable and happy!

Last but not least, antique shops are as exciting as treasure hunts. No need to wait to be in your 50s with a house, a garage and a basement to fill up. Antique shops are a learning and exploring opportunity. To see and understand what generations before us used to have and enjoyed makes one reflect on our present state of material value, quality and purpose of things we grew up with and cherished. It also allows the discovery of unique pieces you will cherish for life, or things that you simply never imagined could exist before.

It is never too late to explore! Summer is yours and if you only enter “thrift shop” in your search bar for your town or city, you should statistically find about at least ten close locations to visit. Don’t wait while others are on top of their businesses, this spring thrift shopping is yours!