When It Comes To Spring Break Plans, Sometimes Home Is Where The Heart Is

Sometimes the best destination for spring break is home!

232

For many college students, spring break is just around the corner, and that means traveling, partying, and alcohol. For my friends and I, that meant excitement and anticipation. My past couple of spring breaks had to be sacrificed because of COVID, and I’ve never gotten to go on a trip with just my friends, so we were all really pumped for this week of (hopeful) fun.

This year, my friends and I made a pact to do a really exciting and adventurous spring break. Starting in fall semester, we had dreamed up all kinds of places to go: San Francisco, New York, or even Europe. It seemed like this spring break was going to be one to look forward to.

However, for one reason or another, one by one we all had to cancel our extravagant plans. Suddenly, we were left with no plans other than going home, which was a huge let down. Everyone in my classes and in my dorm were heading off to exotic places, and the most I got to do was go home. Not only was it a let down, it just felt lame.

Don’t get me wrong, home is really nice for lots of reasons. I get to see my dog, eat free food, do my laundry for free, and do everything else that comes with seeing your family. But it felt like there was something extremely underwhelming about traveling home when I could be traveling anywhere else.

In an attempt to have a positive attitude, there are some positives to going home! As boring as staycations can seem, they aren’t the worst ways to spend your time. Even though extravagant traveling and adventures can be really fun, they’re usually really expensive. Home is a great place to be, especially if you’re looking to save money!

Staycations can also be super relaxing. Sure, beaches are nice, but so is your favorite movie and a nice cozy blanket. After a busy school semester with more to come, a week of de-stressing and relaxation is just what you may need. Sometimes busy adventures can be more draining than they’re worth.

And don’t forget about being able to see your family! Since my family lives about six hours away from campus, I don’t get to see them too often. Going home gives me some quality family time, which is well worth it after a long and tiring semester. And don’t even get me started on how excited I am to see my dog!

Anyway, staycations may not be the first choice. It might not be the second one either. But they’re a good option to have, and it’ll still be an enjoyable spring break! Have fun on spring break, especially if you’re chilling at home!