4 Books Perfect For Reading And Relaxing With Over Spring Break

Whether you're in a car, on a plane, or at the beach, a book is the perfect way to disappear from reality and into a world far away from your own.
60

For some, Spring Break is a time to get as drunk as possible and spend the day in the warm sun dressed in a swimsuit with the chaos of friends. But for others, it's about relaxing and taking a break from the stress of school and work. I personally am just excited to spend some quality time with my friends on an east coast road trip. With hours in the car, I plan on getting some reading done in the books that have been sitting on my shelf for too long collecting dust. Whether you will be sitting on a plane, in a car, with your butt in the sand, or relaxing on the couch, I really recommend reading these books that I finished this year and that I love. Although there are only four books, these are really for anyone and I promise you, they are worth reading.

1. "Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness" by Susannah Cahalan

I can honestly say this is my favorite book that I've read in a long time. Although it's been out for a few years and actually has a movie (which looks really bad if you've read the book), this autobiography was absolutely phenomenal. Based on a true story, Susannah worked as a journalist for The New York Post, living the high life in Hell's Kitchen when everything took a turn for the worst. She recollects her memories as she fell into madness and filled in the pieces of her momentary lapse of life through her Dad's journal and stories told by her family and boyfriend. Not many people can say they survived being actually crazy, but she can, and does it beautifully. Although autobiographies aren't always the most interesting, this one reads like a fiction novel... it's that unbelievable. I read this book in a matter of two days, because I seriously couldn't put it down and I can't imagine how you wouldn't be the same way, too.

2. "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coehlo

Ah, a classic. "The Alchemist" tells the tale of a young man who wants to learn the trade of alchemy, or turning metal into gold from a famous alchemist, but learns more than the tool of the trade in the process. It's a beautiful, easy read for anyone who is interested in a little wisdom during their momentary break from reality.

3. "The Burning Girl: A Novel" by Claire Messud

This is a novel for any girl who has been through the evolving of a relationship with a friend over years. The tale is of Julia and Cassie who have been friends since nursery school and grew up side by side. When middle school struck, their paths began to diverge and the friendship became turbulent as Cassie took a turn for the worst. Although it may sound cheesy, this book is not a YA novel, and it offers way more than a he said, she said storyline. It's a story that any young adult female or mature woman can relate to as everyone has that one friendship growing up that you expected to last forever, but didn't turn out the way you expected it to.

4. "Pillow Thoughts" by Courtney Peppernell

This poetry book adheres to the many emotions of a person and divides the poems into such: if you are dreaming of someone, if you are in love, if you are heartbroken, if you are lonely, if you are sad, if you are missing someone, if you need encouragement, if you are soul-searching, if you need a reason to stay, and these are for you. Although written by a girl for the girl she loves, this poetry book does not limit who these poems can be about when pertaining to your life. It's unique, beautiful, and special for just about everyone if you let it.