5 Books to Read This Spring

5 Books to Read This Spring

Spring is in full bloom and what better way to spend it reading cool books?

31768
5 Books to Read This Spring

Thanks to my Kindle, I've gotten back into the realm of reading, and it's been great so far. I've always been a reader, and although you may rather spend your time basking in the spring sun, here are five books to curl up with just before bed.

*in no particular order

1) Doghead by Morten Ramsland

Doghead tells the story of a dysfunctional Norwegian family throughout several generations. The book is hilarious and its characters are funky. Although a medium-length this books flies by.

2) The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld

I'll admit: this book was kind of very depressing. It takes place in an "enchanted place" of a prison set in presumably modern-day society. The story weaves multiple POV's but in a way that is smooth, and you sympathize for each character. Even if it's magical realism, you also question the criminal justice system.

3) Wool by Hugh Howey

Perhaps my favorite modern sci-fi book of all time, Wool takes place in a futuristic society where people live in underground silos. No one has been outside for decades, except for those who clean the cameras stationed outside. The book is suspensful, full of action and thrills that will want you to read it again.

4) An Anatomy of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan

Mahajan's second book focuses on multiple characters as they struggle through the repercussions of a terrorist attack in India. The book is haunting and acts as part of an allegory to today's political climate.

5) Catalog of Unabashed Attitude by Ross Gay

I'm not one for poetry, but Gay is able to keep my attention throughout Catalog. His poems range from a variety of topics as well as styles, and it's really refreshing to be able to see how funky you can get with poetry and still understand every single word. The diction is beautiful as well as Gay himself (yes, I got to hear him speak!).