On Sports Dominance And Failing Fanbases

It's starting to get out of hand to be honest...

187

The world of sports has been around for generations upon generations. Now, back in the day, the sports that were played would seem primitive compared to the sports we play today, but the sports played way back when is the foundation for what we have come to love today. There is nothing like sports. Sports is the single-most uniting thing in the world. In the world?

Yes, in the world!

The different championships across each sport show the wide range and reach of sports. With soccer, you have the World Cup. With Basketball, you have the NBA Finals. With football, you have the Super Bowl. With hockey, you have the Stanley Cup. Within college sports, there is also respective championships to be competed for. Sports brings out the best and the worst in all of us. The competitive nature has transcended throughout the years, but it seems as if the best is in one category and the rest are left wanting to be in the top spot. Sports entertainment has not become mundane, but in the past couple of years, the sports world is seeing a trend of one team being more dominant than its counterparts.

The gap between the great teams and less marketable teams is increasingly obvious. College football has been decimated this year by the notion that the University of Alabama is too dominant. Opposing teams have gone to various blogging websites to express their discomfort with the current status quo of Alabama's dominance. Parallel to the issue with Alabama is the Golden State Warriors of the National Basketball Association. There have been several discussions on talk shows, among fanbases, and players in the league about the lopsided roster that the Warriors have. Fans have expressed their dislike of how one-sided the sports world has become.

Even fans, like myself, have investigated past league decisions that have led to the decrease in the excitement of sports games. The Lakers were denied a trade that would bring Chris Paul to the Lakers, setting up the team to be favorites for another repeat championship. David Stern, the former NBA commissioner, vetoed this move because it was deemed "an unfair advantage to smaller market teams."

What has happened since this unfair advantage decision? A Warriors team who are on the verge of completing a three-peat and earning their fourth championship in the last five years. The unfair advantage theory was a scapegoat to try and push big named players to the smaller markets of the league.

Which was a failure?